2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

noob question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
cwoodard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i'll run by the jy this weekend and try to find a 5.2 tb and kegger, better pick up a haynes too. might as well have everything ready and do it all at once. besides the modded intake and new timing chain what else should i take care of while i'm in there

Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bypass hose for sure.
T-stat for sure.
Water pump if you don't mind a little extra cost.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since you're going to have the water pump off anyway, give it a very thorough inspection. Pay particular attention to the pulley/shaft bearing. If you find that it may be about to go south, you may want to replace it preventatively.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
cwoodard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the magnet test today and yep its steel so the plenum is definitely steel. does anyone have any idea what kind of lifespan i can expect out of my 318 once the plenum is fixed. i'm a **** when it comes to maintenance (oil changed every 3k on the dot) tune up every 20k. I'm just wondering how many more miles i can get before it needs a rebuild. (222,000 right now)

Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwoodard
did the magnet test today and yep its steel so the plenum is definitely steel. does anyone have any idea what kind of lifespan i can expect out of my 318 once the plenum is fixed. i'm a **** when it comes to maintenance (oil changed every 3k on the dot) tune up every 20k. I'm just wondering how many more miles i can get before it needs a rebuild. (222,000 right now)

Unfortunately, there is no straight answer for your question. It depends largely on your (and the previous owner's) driving style. If you hammer the accelerator regularly, don't expect too much out of it. Likewise, if you take good care of it, and don't make a habit of breaking your foot off in the throttle, you could expect quite a bit more.

That being said, the durability of the chrysler 318 is near legendary. Look up "cash for clunker 318" on youtube for a vid showing how long it takes for one to die. Even when held at red line with no coolant or oil (they drained the oil, and replaced it with a water/sodium silicate combo if memory serves), they take forever to bite the dust.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-21-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: noob question