2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fluid leaking out of brake booster check valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
sullivanj04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid leaking out of brake booster check valve

im not sure if its oil or brake fluid i think its oil but it is seeping out of the vacume check valve right where it connects to the master cylinder could these be from a bad plenum gasket or could the "oil" i saw in my intake be brake fluid from a bad master cylinder? i see "oil" at the brake vacum hose connection at the manifold

Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Mpi360
Banned

Think your talking about the booster check valve. Its a 0ne way valve as air can only be drawn out of the booster by the vacuum of the intake. Its only 2 bolts holding the master to the booster. Unbolt it a poke around inside with something see if its wet from brake fluid. 10min to find this out.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My money's on a failed master cylinder. They're rebuildable if you want to save some cash or just have something to tinker with on a Saturday.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
sullivanj04
Rookie

if its a faild master cylinder is it possible that is the "oil" i saw in the intake manifold trying to see if I should address this first before I do the plenum repair because I have no other symptoms of a blown plenum except fluid in the manifold

Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivanj04
if its a faild master cylinder is it possible that is the "oil" i saw in the intake manifold
I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen a master cylinder fail so badly that it put brake fluid into the intake manifold unless the brakes were almost totally nonfunctional.

Originally Posted by sullivanj04
trying to see if I should address this first before I do the plenum repair because I have no other symptoms of a blown plenum except fluid in the manifold
A vehicle that won't go is an inconvenience, but one that won't stop is a death trap.

Quick Reply: fluid leaking out of brake booster check valve