2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck not running right....need some ideas please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck not running right....need some ideas please.

To start off with, I did the plenum last weekend, and seafoamed her about five days later. When I did the plenum, I changed the cap and rotor, cleaned the plugs, changed the thermostat, and changed the oil and filter.

Since then, the temp gauge hasn't read right. It goes just barely past the first line above 130, and no further. I have heard that there are usually two sensors, one for the gauge, and the other for the PCM. But some trucks have just one that feeds both.

Now when I drive it, it seems like I have to get aggressive to accelerate. If I am just cruising along and give it a little bit of throttle, it does nothing, or just feels plain doggy. I have to go just past about half throttle, and then it downshifts and takes off like the proverbial raped ape.

Also while cruising, I feel what I can only describe as a shudder. It's almost like the torque converter is locking and unlocking, but really fast. The only thing is, the rpm's never change.

I did the check valve delete about a month ago, so I know that's not it. I also gutted the cat at the same time, so that rules that out. The only thing I can think of is maybe the front O2 sensor is getting bad. There is no check engine light, and Advance Auto said that there are no codes. (Went there yesterday and had them scan it)

I am thinking I need to make sure the connector on the temp sensor by the thermostat housing is clean and making good contact. I am also thinking about trying to clean the front O2 sensor.

Any other ideas, guys and gals? I don't have a lot of cash, so I'm trying to make a SWAG and not just throw parts at it ***** nilly.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh, the truck just turned 75,000 miles.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 AM
slicedtomatoes
Rookie

have you check for vacuum leaks?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

No. Not sure exactly how to go about doing that. Any advice?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

ttt..

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you CLEANED the plugs?
After SeaFoam or plenum?
You could have fouled them up again after the SF treatment. (not to be ruled out here)
If you had those plugs in the engine during the plenum issue, I would replace the plugs as a start.
Also check your T.V. cable in your TB linkage. Those are known to seriously mess up your trans.
Your front 02 sensor could also be ready to shat the bed.
Blown plenum= oil=bad
Seafoam=other stuff=bad
=
Bad things hitting the 02 sensor.
If you haven't replaced those sensors, it may be time anyway.
Get the NTK sensor if you need to replace it.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you test the thermostat before you installed it?
It isn't common but every now and then you'll get a bad stat straight out of the box. One time I read where a guy had to replace his three times because the first two were bad straight out of the box.
A thermostat that sticks open will keep the coolant cool because it circulates through the radiator instead of sitting in the block to heat up.
Cold coolant will make the truck run rich and not very well in general.

Check your spark plug routing also, this sounds like you might have a couple spark plug wires crossed.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Thanks for the advice. Now if I was going to change my front O2 sensor with an NTK, will the universal one work? I can pick one up at Advance for about $26. It will require me to splice the wiring, which is really no big deal.

I'm just thinking it is a hell of a lot cheaper than one with the factory connector.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_Putman
Thanks for the advice. Now if I was going to change my front O2 sensor with an NTK, will the universal one work? I can pick one up at Advance for about $26. It will require me to splice the wiring, which is really no big deal.

I'm just thinking it is a hell of a lot cheaper than one with the factory connector.
our trucks HATE aftermarket sensors. BUT, if you do get the cheap sensor, splice the wires to the FACTORY connector so you don't have to splice while under the tuck. Plus you don't need to cut your wiring harness.

only replace the sensor that is in front of the cat. The one behind does nothing for the mixture. It is just reading that your cat is working. If you gutted the cat, then it will drop a CEL all the time.

Quick Reply: Truck not running right....need some ideas please.