2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coil Spring Seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
wilfite
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Seat

So Wednesday I'm finishing up installing new shocks on the front and am just doing the final torque of the various bolts involved when I spun off one of the bolts that hold the shock tower on. After inspecting the bolt, I see there's actually only a few little shiny spots where the bolt broke. The rest of the bolt face was gray and corroded, so there must have been some crevice corrosion and as much as it sucks, it's a good thing I found it now rather than later.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, but if you go looking for parts it sure may seem so. This was a two day waste of my time searching for the part and then waiting for O'Reilly's to order the wrong part. Did I mention waste of time?
For anyone in the future, let me save you some effort: this is a DEALER PART. O'Reilly's, Autozone, Knecht, Napa, NOBODY has this part.

Now that I've found one, I get to pull the coil off tonight and replace it. For those who may not know, on top of your coil spring there is a rubber pad. Above that is a ring of steel with 3 14mm bolts mounted in it. These project through the top of the metal cup that the coil butts up to underneath and the shock tower mounts to these bolts. For a 1500, there are 3 bolts. The bolts are ~1.5 inches long. I thought about just putting some carriage bolts in there, but without the ring there's nothing there to keep them from spinning in place.

Hopefully this helps somebody, I didn't find any info in a search when I was looking.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Seat