2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gears came in, where to get speedo reset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears came in, where to get speedo reset?

After I have the gears put in, who do I take it to to have the speedo reflashed to proper settings? I have an SCT but I don't believe hemifever can fix my problem?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man.. where did you get your gears and how big did you go.. looking for a good gear site going 4.10

Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

because your 2001 speedo is driven from the ring gear tone sensor in the diff, i don't think the gear change is going to affect your speedo.

what does affect your speedo is big tires. the solution is to set the "pinion factor" in the pcm. hypertech (sometimes yes, sometimes no) and superchips will adjust speedo. SCT tuner will not. Dealer can, but they have to skip the pre-programmed settings for 225, 245, 265 tires and go to "other" and then input the correct revolutions per mile. some know how to do this, others don't.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM
96magnumram
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
because your 2001 speedo is driven from the ring gear tone sensor in the diff, i don't think the gear change is going to affect your speedo.

what does affect your speedo is big tires. the solution is to set the "pinion factor" in the pcm. hypertech (sometimes yes, sometimes no) and superchips will adjust speedo. SCT tuner will not. Dealer can, but they have to skip the pre-programmed settings for 225, 245, 265 tires and go to "other" and then input the correct revolutions per mile. some know how to do this, others don't.

This...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

Thanks! The speedo is correct for the tires, but hasn't been adjusted for the gears yet. Are you sure about how the speedo is operated, because I had the speed sensor in the transmission go a little while ago and that was ****ing with my speedo

Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do i think i'm sure? yes.
am i sure i'm sure? no.

are you about to find out? yes. LOL.
post back what you find out.

...38's you rock.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Later model year Dodge Rams (at least for 1999-2001 model years, if not earlier) do not have to be speedo corrected for gears. Only way a vehicle doesn't need to have the speedo recalibrated after a gear change is if there is a speed sensor in the differential, which is exactly where ours is located at.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonw
Later model year Dodge Rams (at least for 1999-2001 model years, if not earlier) do not have to be speedo corrected for gears. Only way a vehicle doesn't need to have the speedo recalibrated after a gear change is if there is a speed sensor in the differential, which is exactly where ours is located at.
Like he said, I'm about to find out...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping an old thread here. Did you ever work this out?

I have my 4.10's and the cash to do the swap, so I'm curious how it affected your speedo.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speedometer will not be effect. The only thing that will change is the rpm readings on the tach. If you go with a taller gear the rpms will increase. If you were showing 2Krpms @ 60 mph before the gear change then after the gear change you will be showing increase in rpms while at the same speed. How much of an increase depends on how much taller you went with the gearing.

Quick Reply: Gears came in, where to get speedo reset?