2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
then he needs to study exhaust theory..

the basic concept is generating enough heat to create a vacuum like effect from the heads to the tips- the engine is only strong enough to push it so far- it needs help from heat to create that vacuum, and help from the other bank to generate a tug when the opposite one slows.. It is referred to as scavenging, but many confuse the term with back-pressure.. back pressure is bad.. scavenging is good..

on the flip side, if it is too open, the air cools too fast and creates a barrier for the pulse behind it.. back pressure..

if it is too restrictive, it can't get out of the way of itself fast enough.. back pressure..

just the right size will heat enough to create that conveyor I mentioned, and NOT create back pressure..

you're leaving cats in it- that actually will help you because cats get dang hot.. dang hot when the exhaust is attempting to cool, which gives you a tug about the same time the engines pushing has exhausted itself..

you're on the right track, and he is right but not for the right reason- smaller pipes generate more heat.. wrapped pipes not only keep the engine bay cooler (which is a side effect of wrapping them) they also insulate and keep the pipes hotter (which is good).. ceramic is the preferred wrap, but exhaust tape is often used as well.
So I will be ok with 2.5 with cats.
What about size for no cats?
sorry to keep asking questions

Old 05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the knowledge to do the math, but it is generally agreed that 2.25 to 2.5" pipes on a dual exhaust system is optimum.. 3" on a Y piped system is fine.. 3" on duals is too much.. those cats you're getting are high flows, they will get hot like any other cat, and help with scavenging but not restrict like a OE cat will.. The difference in having them and not having them is slight.. I'd rec you have them for legal purposes, but also to create another hot spot to draft the pulses out better.. It's up to you..

the biggest thing you'll need, though, is good mandrel bends and good welds.. try to keep the pipes as close to the same length as the opposite banks, and generate as little back pressure as possible...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

What mufflers are you guys running you like?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I got the black headers not the ceramic coated ones would you guys have them sand blasted and repainted on just put them on with the paint that comes on them?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 PM
drewactual
Champion

the paint thats on them is on them for one reason: so they don't rust while they wait for someone to buy them.. it isn't even temperature rated.. it will burn off in the first week you have them on, and you'll be able to see and smell it..

to do it right, you can sandblast them and do the oven thing, but if you have a wife or girlfriend that lives with you they likely won't forgive you. if you wrap them with tape it will serve the same purpose, but promote premature rust due to trapping moisture.. if you paint them w/ temperature rated paint you will thwart rust in the near future..

Or, you can bolt them on as is, and just ride it out.. up to you.. personally, I'd blast and paint them and walk away.. or blast paint and wrap them..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM
drewactual
Champion

oh, and if you do the wrap thing, do yourself the biggest favor of the decade and wrap them BEFORE you install them.. you'll hafta go back and do the area surrounding the collector plate and the junction with the heads themselves, but DANG you'l lbe happy you did.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a custum y-pipe tghat goes to a si/so cat the into a si/do muffler sounds good too me and a noticible power diffrence .

personally i would only do h or x if it was a race truck. but since mines a 4x4 i decided to stick with a y pipe

Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

So you think I should blast them and paint them then bake it on?

My truck is 4x4 I just want duals.
Thanks For the help guys

Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
dodgeman52
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2.25 true duals on my 318 with a x pipe no cats and flowmaster 10s and i like it alot.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgeman52
i have 2.25 true duals on my 318 with a x pipe no cats and flowmaster 10s and i like it alot.
Where did you put your o2 sensor in the center of the x pipe

Last edited by BigRedRam95; 05-20-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: new exhaust system