2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC drip location???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Jamie71
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC drip location???

Hey there fellow dodge ram owners, I need some help. I just charged up my ac and it blows cool, not cold. I checked the lines and it seems that 1/4 of the line is cold and the rest is warm and there is no condensation dripping under the truck. I looked for leaks but didnt see or hear any. The cold part of the line stops at the passenger side firewall. Please any help would be great, thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Ram_King
Professional

might need another can of refridgerent

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Jamie71
Rookie

Really? I put a can in and maybe a half of another left over. I also havent charged up my ac in 2 years- i went last year without ac, just didnt get it charged up.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know if this applies to you or not, but consider it.

son in law's jeep ac was blowing semi-cool, not cold. we added a can of refrigerant and took the pressure up to the max/normal line. didn't help any. input line to evap core was cold, return line was not cold.

figuring it was the blend door, we cut the box open, and found about half of the evap core to be cold and the other half was not cold. scratched head awhile. took it down to the local ac shop and asked what was up. mechanic said - probably need to replace the expansion valve. he was right. $100 later and it was fixed.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Where's that located?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't see anything on my 01 that looks like an expansion valve. it was an aluminum block about 1in x 1in by 3in and was on the passenger firewall at the end of the high pressure line.

so now i'm just guessing.. if his return line is not very cold coming out of the firewall, then he either has -
low on refrigerant.
poor flow of refrigerant on high pressure side (compressor, orafice in line)
poor flow on low pressure side (dryer/accumulator).
other ?

jamie - did you use on of the fill kits with the gauge. what was your low pressure reading and at what outside temp?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Jamie71
Rookie

i put one can of freon in and then we had some left over from another we put in, it looked like we had enough according to the gauge(it was in the yellow which it was suppose to be in). The line is cold coming out of the dash into the firewall then stops right at the firewall(at the wheel) and is warm. and like i said earlier i dont see any condensation coming out of the bottom either, I dont know if i should put another can in or not, still trying to figure it out.

Quick Reply: AC drip location???