2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 5.2L V8, couple of problems, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Aerogauge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 5.2L V8, couple of problems, need advice

Ok so my truck is leaking antifreeze, I think it is the water pump. How hard is it to change the water pump and any links on "how to" or explanations would be appreciated.

Also, when I drive my truck and I am accelerating and then ease off the gas I hear a little pop noise come from behind the center of the dash... Ideas?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the popping noise sounds like it may be your heater core, not your water pump. when you turn on the defroster does your windshield fog up, and do you get the smell of antifreeze? if you do its your heater core. the water pump is easy to replace, you just gotta have the right tools for the job.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Aerogauge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
the popping noise sounds like it may be your heater core, not your water pump. when you turn on the defroster does your windshield fog up, and do you get the smell of antifreeze? if you do its your heater core. the water pump is easy to replace, you just gotta have the right tools for the job.
I will have to try turning on the defroster and check that, would the heater core cause a popping sound like that when rpms drop?

And I know the water pump is not making the popping, its a seperate issue. I am assuming its the water pump leaking.. Looks like antifreeze running down the front passenger side of the engine, when I park he truck I can hear is sizzling from running down the hot engine.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aerogauge
I will have to try turning on the defroster and check that, would the heater core cause a popping sound like that when rpms drop?

And I know the water pump is not making the popping, its a seperate issue. I am assuming its the water pump leaking.. Looks like antifreeze running down the front passenger side of the engine, when I park he truck I can hear is sizzling from running down the hot engine.
you gotta think about it, the faster the engine turns the faster the wp is moving pushing more antifreeze through the motor. so when the engine rpm's slow the antifreeze slows down causing the burping sounds due to the air in the system from a leak. kinda like an open exhaust popping as the rpm's drop.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 5.2L V8, couple of problems, need advice