2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed oil a month ago, its already dark brown...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed oil a month ago, its already dark brown...wtf?

Changed my oil about a month ago with full Synthetic, I also did an engine flush at the time because my oil was hella dirty.

I just checked it after getting gas and its not like dark black yet, but pretty dark brown..

I haven't owned the truck for very long, is this normal? or is my engine still crazy dirty?

Not Losing any oil, its still at full.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

If it wasn't well maintained before you got it that is normal just change it more frequently and I'd use Dino oil

Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More than likely the engine flush is/has done it's job and loosened up coke and/or sludge. That stuff is supposed to be suspended in the oil and get trapped in the oil filter. If this is the first oil change after the engine flush, I'd dump the oil and change the filter, or at the very least, change the oil filter. The syn oil your running will also loosen up crud left behind by dino oil as well.

Whenever I do any internal work on the motor that requires me to get into the engine internals or any sort of flushing or heavy cleaning, I dump the cheapest oil I trust into the engine and run it about 500-1000 miles and dump it.

When I swap cams later this summer, I'll dump the cheapo oil in and run it for 500 or so miles to flush all the assembly/cam lube out of the internals, then go with a more expensive oil.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil gets dark, that's it's job. If you're really that worried, send in an oil sample.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Oil gets dark, that's it's job. If you're really that worried, send in an oil sample.
X2

Just cause its dark. Doesn't mean its bad.

Quick Reply: Changed oil a month ago, its already dark brown...wtf?