2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sad day for my Ram...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems kinda steep for the lock-right.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 AM
93grandzj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
You aren't going to like the Lock-Right when accelerating out of a turn, and neither will your tires. But in off-road situations, they're tons better than an open diff!

Before you install the Lock-Right in your stock carrier, make SURE to check the entire carrier carefully for any cracks. Carriers can stretch or crack as a result from broken side gears and/or spider gears. Just the luck of the draw on how it broke I guess.

A new internal gear kit (new spiders + side gears + pin + washers) runs ~$160 on Randy's ring and pinion and even cheaper on flee-bay (~$120ish w/shipping). Both of these would also have fixed your problem on a tight budget (but your truck would be back to being a "one wheel peel").

Good luck with the Lock-Right, and be sure to get us a full review when you have a chance!

-JT
i am going to have to borrow that line of the "one wheel peel..." Locking would be nice but i like my posi and don't do enough off road only.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 AM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got it installed around 230am this morning. Went out for a test drive and lucky for me it had just rained! Going around corners normally, I barely notice a thing. The only time I really notice skipping is when I do a u-turn. Decided to do a cookie in a parking lot and it was way easier than I had expected. I'm loving it already! Can't wait to test it off road!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

find a big long greasy mudhole and i'll bet you'll be impressed.

Quick Reply: Sad day for my Ram...