2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 1500 5.2 idles good wont drive.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM
cosmochurch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 1500 5.2 idles good wont drive.

i have a 94 dodge 1500 5.2 auto. i got this truck for free mostly for parts for another dodge but i would like to have it as a beat around truck. anywho, my issue is it starts right up and runs good in park, but when you put it in gear and try and drive it stumbles and pops and barely moves, i have messed with it alot and have come up with nothing except one thing i have a tcc code thrown, however i did think that would have affected my just putting it into gear unless its locked up all the time but i dont know much about a dodge auto tranny... i have checked everything fuel pressure, tps, map..... i even went and got a noid tester to see if my injectors were getting the signal in drive. any ideas would be a great help. thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if fuel pressure and compression and tune up is all ok, i'd suspect the other 2 major sensors - crank position sensor and cam position sensor (aka secondary pickup coil).

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM
cosmochurch

thanks dhvaughan, i have checked those and they were in the right ohm range, i think it was the cam senors that is a pain to test..haha. i still have after i reset the computer "code 37", i cut the cat off however and it was bad but not clogged and i ran it with, and, with out the o2 sensor both before and after i cut it off. it still does the same thing. three days of haynes manual testing one sensor after another and everything is to the books specs. i am lost. does anyone if know the tcc solenoid could cause this? its pretty much the last thing i can think of but i still cant seem to think the torque coverter lock up solenoid would cause this... and i dont want to drop the pan unless i have to. can i just trick the computer to thinking its in park? or is this something i should not attempt...

Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

When you put it in gear does the truck stall out and die immediately? I'd think that's what it would do if the TC was locked all the time.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM
4085spd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

37 is also trans temp sensor voltage to high or to low.

Quick Reply: 94 1500 5.2 idles good wont drive.