DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Pulling my tranny this evening.... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/297637-pulling-my-tranny-this-evening.html)

80omni 07-17-2011 11:03 PM

if the o2 sensor isnt faulty leave it in the exhaust and just unplug it.

rocky_mtn_ram 07-21-2011 10:29 PM

So I'm curious if someone who's been inside one of these might be able to give me a vague preliminary diagnosis. Inside my pan was a few 3" long metal shards that the best I can explain, look like piston rings...maybe just a little thicker. The freakin magnet in the pan looked like chewbacca. Probably 3/4" worth of shavings standing on end on it. Carnage to say the least. Truck lost reverse and wouldnt shift worth crap unless you really messed with the throttle to make it kick. Sometimes it just flat wouldn't shift into 2nd.

dhvaughan 07-21-2011 11:18 PM

the broken pieces are from broken snap ring(s), most likely the OD unit.
welcome to the club, you will probably need a rebuild.
see montec's transmission thread, and any other of 1000's about broken trans,

rocky_mtn_ram 07-21-2011 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by dhvaughan (Post 2554773)
the broken pieces are from broken snap ring(s), most likely the OD unit.
welcome to the club, you will probably need a rebuild.
see montec's transmission thread, and any other of 1000's about broken trans,

:icon_werd:

I think "probably" isn't quite the word for it...lol, but thanks a bunch for jumping in with some input.

dhvaughan 07-22-2011 07:15 AM

i'm not a trans expert, but there's a possibility that the OD unit could be removed and repaired. and everything else cleaned...

but - the shifting issues may or may not clear up. same with reverse, and it doesn't take long to sink a lot of money into it and it still not be fixed.

HeyYou 07-22-2011 03:26 PM

With the metal shavings and such you mentioned, I would just bite the bullet, and rebuild it.

rocky_mtn_ram 07-22-2011 08:14 PM

Right on, it's totally getting rebuilt, I've just heard horror stories of people thinking they can rebuild auto trannys, and putting it all back together just to have it fail again very soon. I'm weighing my options as far as having a reputable local shop do the work and I pick the parts, or actually getting the parts myself and doing it myself. I think the reward of knowledge and money savings could be epic, but is the risk worth it...we'll see I suppose.

gdstock 07-22-2011 08:32 PM

Sounds like a real challenge. Pulled the tranny out of mine last weekend. Thought mine was bad, but I did not have 3" pieces in the pan.

I rebuilt a number of Ford C4 transmission about 30 years ago, and nothing ever since. With the knowledge and help I found here, I believe I am up to the challenge. Lots of info on MonteC's thread. I have spent the last several days reading everything I could (too hot to work outside).

Someone posted a manual to go by as well and I saw a reference to a video for about $40 on this rebuild. I am ordering it before I tear mine down.

Good luck!

rocky_mtn_ram 07-22-2011 08:36 PM

Thanks you too...I'll be posting up pics and updates, so maybe we can help each other out. I have quite a few resources I can share if you'd like. Theres a large video and manual made by ATSG that I got from a member on here. My progress will be slow though. Working 12-14 hours a day, commute 50 miles each way, and helping the wife take care of our 9 month old son. Good times...I won't be beaten by this tranny though. Thanks again guys for all your help.

gdstock 07-22-2011 08:44 PM

That's is the video and manual I had seen info about. I plan to use it well before I dig in. I'll probably post photos as well, especially if anything gets tricky.

My 1 1/2 year old grandson loves getting under the hood and on the creeper with my son. I remember the days - start them out young!