2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulling my tranny this evening....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling my tranny this evening....

Just wanted to say hey to everyone and post up a thread in case I run into any issues pulling my 4x4 46re this evening....if anyone has been through this recently and can provide any helpful hints, they would be greatly appreciated. i'm kinda worried about my harbor freight tranny jack cause it says it only reaches 23-3/4"...my trucks lifted on 35's. Anyhow, anyone who wants to participate is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rocky_mtn_ram; 07-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

Also, had a quick question for someone...I called a local shop thats reputable, and they said $1,250.00 if I brought it to them...I was just trying to get a ballpark figure of what I'd be saving myself by doing it myself. He said that included all the new "updates". What was he referring to? I just thought a rebuild kit was in order, but now I'm starting to wonder what these updates are. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

I would ask him what he means for the "updates".... Have a look Here. The text file is what was recommended by our resident tranny Guru for a member that regularly towed a 7k trailer. If you don't do that, should be pretty much bullet proof.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocky_mtn_ram
Just wanted to say hey to everyone and post up a thread in case I run into any issues pulling my 4x4 46re this evening....if anyone has been through this recently and can provide any helpful hints, they would be greatly appreciated. i'm kinda worried about my harbor freight tranny jack cause it says it only reaches 23-3/4"...my trucks lifted on 35's. Anyhow, anyone who wants to participate is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
Be safe...If anything makes you nervous for a split second...Don't do it.

Words of wisdom from a guy whom has used table saws for over 35 years and still has ten fingers.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

Yeah, I think I'm throwing in the towel this evening...those exhaust bolts care kicking my but bigtime. Probably a little easier with a second set of hands...I soaked em' and they're turning, but I need someone on the topside holding the bolt heads. Man those retainers on the tops of those bolts are a bear too...It's always nice to have someone hangin out helpin that you can cuss at for no reason though. = P.

Last edited by rocky_mtn_ram; 07-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

So can someone enlighten me as to how these exhaust to manifold bolts come off? Those retainer clips on top of the bolts are a PITA. Is it protocol to just cut the ears off the retainers to remove the bolts? If so, what about the only one that can't be easily reached...the one on the drivers side closest to the engine. You can't even see it, it's under the manifold. I've heard quite a few people say they did this without removing the exhaust. I really dont want to go that route, but this is pretty much step 1, and I can't even get to the top exhaust bolt on the drivers side closest to the engine.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Vice grips. Replace the bolts when done.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swivels and extensions. i dropped mine with not problems from the bolts. dont give up

Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

I got it...trust me I'm not giving up, just taking it nice and slow...workin on it by myself with the wife and 9 month old son supervisin'...= P at any rate, now I'm moving on to dropping the exhaust, and screwing with a rounded out o2 sensor.

Last edited by rocky_mtn_ram; 07-17-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pipe Wrench for the O2 sensor. Just get a new one.

Quick Reply: Pulling my tranny this evening....