2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Natural Gas conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
moparlvr600
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Natural Gas conversion?

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2. I was wondering if anyone has switched your truck to natural gas already and can give me some info?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

no one here I know of has done this, but:

in '95 I believe many vans and fleet truck in Canada with a 5.2L engine came from the factory running on CNG. lots of Canucks pick the bone yards for them and post hte kits on ebay. Check there first.

Search the forum here for posts from a guy named HankL for propane and natural gas conversions.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, do you have a supply of cng where you live? Do you travel with your truck outside your area??

Not trying to be a pain but I think you'll be restricting your freedom of travel with a cng truck.

Just curious.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a propane carb for my truck, just haven't bolted it up. They say that the natural gas can run through the propane carb setup with minor modification. They also say mileage is better and engine performance is better with the the natural or propane setups. Greatest thing is that if I'm not mistaken, you can run dual fuel... Gasoline and whatever vapor gas fuel you choose. Big plus on natural gas by the way, you can get a compressor if you have a natural gas line going to your house from the local supply company in your area and refuel in your garage. No more fluctuating fuel prices that way or waiting in line at the pump... Just make sure you've got a nice big tanks that will last. 50 Gallon tank is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Natural Gas conversion?