2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Irratic idle in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOU CAN CLEAN YOUR TPS:

1. Buy a can of electric parts cleaner from your local autozone/parts store (comes with the red straw most aersol cleaners come with)
2. Take TPS off throttle body
3. turn it upside down and get a VERY VERY thin drill bit. About the size of the red straw. BE VERY CAREFUL AND TAKE IT SLOW. Don't want filings in there and you DON'T want to punch the rotating bit down into the inner workings.
4. Spray the inside with the parts cleaner. then use a screwdriver to rotate the tps a bit (you will see the notch)
5. Repeat the spray and twist about 3 times
6. REALLY flush out the TPS
7. Let it dry for a few hours. Must be completely dry.
8. Cover the hole with a small dot of black RTV
9. Reinstall.

See if that helps. I it does, then you know the TPS was the problem. If it doesn't help, you still can't rule out the TPS. But 9 times out of 10 it helps.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 AM
chad samenko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to get a factory tps this weekend, autozone one did seem a little cheap looking, let you know what happens.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
billcart
Professional

Just wanted to know what happened with the tps. Did the new one fix it? I am getting a little surging now and then at constant highway speeds and was wondering if this fixed your problem.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
chad samenko

Called the dealership yesterday to see if they had one. $92.00 going to have to wait for payday on that one. they wont take returns if it doesnt fix it. If you have any luck let me know. May try ordering one off a web site.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

there was a OEM mopar parts wholesale link posted about a week ago, can't recall the name, but I should find it and bookmark it.

Quick Reply: Irratic idle in overdrive