2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory trailer 7 pin hook up

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Mill Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory trailer 7 pin hook up

hey guys,

before i get started, this is not about the 4 pin undeer the dash and i know there are a ton of trailer questions on here. i have searched high and low on my question. iv searched Google, Bing and the forums... i cant really find an answer to my question so iv decieded to ask you guys.

ok, so i have the factory tow package. I ordered the build sheet from Dodge and it says i had a step bumper on it and a hitch if i read it correctly. it had the fuse and relay under the hood. so some one decided it would be a nice thought to add a roll pan.. on a 4x4 truck. i just dont get it.

so my question is this. in the rear of my truck i have a harness with a connector on the end (obviously). i want to get a hitch on the back of it again and i was wondering where i can get the 7 pin to hook right up to that harness (i know i can get just the 7 pins to splice but i was hoping i can get a direct connection). if i have to cut and splice that is fine but im trying to make it as painless as possible. also with all this research iv done looking for hitchs,7 pins and rear bumpers, iv had about all i can take. so if anyone can give me recomendations for the cheaper decent hitchs and harness's that would be great.

thanks you guys.

Jim

Last edited by Mill Man; 07-26-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Mill Man

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
Dude, you are the F-in man! Thus exactly what I'm looking for. This is my first mopar. I'm used to running with old Chevys where everythin is super simple ( not that wiring isn't). So I really didn't know where to look or look under. Thanks a lot!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Mill Man

this has the male connector i need for my truck.
factory trailer 7 pin hook up-dodge-trailer-wire.jpg

has anyone found one that looks like this? this one is for a 2002-2003.
factory trailer 7 pin hook up-dodge-trailer-wire1.jpg

from what i gather, i have to buy the first connector. then it looks like i need to but the 7 pin that plugs into 4 pin. will i need to run other power wires as well?

i did look into the link above but i cant see if it has the connector my truck. i did send a message to the seller but no responce yet. in any case, any help might help the next guy/girl who has the same issue.

i guess i could more then likely go to the dealer and find one buuuuuuuuut, id rather not.

thanks in advance guys.

Jim

Last edited by Mill Man; 07-27-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Mill Man

actually guys you can ignore that last post. i checked out the link from dhvaughan on my computer and i didnt see that the picture rotates. i used my phone to look at it ealier... sorry. id delete the post but i cant.

Quick Reply: factory trailer 7 pin hook up