2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine won't heat up in the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't heat up in the winter.

It's summer now and I had an issue earlier about loosing lots of coolant which is now fixed. During the winter, the truck wont heat up properly. It may be only 20 degrees outside then, but it won't get to temp. I was wondering what to do about it. My idea was to just block off some of the radiator with some sheet of metal secured to the front of the rad to prevent airflow. Any better ideas?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i have not had my truck during a winter yet, but i know our 94 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0l does the exact same thing, never warms up in the winter and it runs pretty warm in the summer. I've used a piece of cardboard infront of the radiator and it helps a little.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fan clutch not thermally disengaging? causing to much cold airflow through radiator? how was the cab heat? possible improper antifreeze mixture/ratio? what temp t-stat are you running? are you sure it's even in there? if it is and doing it's job, does it have the little bypass rattler deal? possible that with a vibrant cooling system the bypass could be moving enough coolant to not let the engine build any heat especially with the heater core getting high fan. does the the radiator have the transmission cooler built in or are you only running an aux. cooler. I think if it was in the radiator it would also help build heat even if in conjunction with an aux. cooler.

Quick Reply: Engine won't heat up in the winter.