2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crank Shaft Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
dwells
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Sensor Problems

I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 P/U with 5.2 motor. Just bought it a week ago. About every 4th time you start it, it will crank and idle rough. Code 1391 came up.
Bought a BWD sensor from Advance Auto and installed it. Sensor was tapping on something when I tried to crank it. Took it back out and reinstalled it. It was better, but still had a small tap to it. Motor was worse than before and engine light, code 1391 was back. Put old sensor back in, truck ran better but had same problem.
Went back to Advance and exchanged the sensor for another. Took it to a mechanic this time. He installed it, but still had a slight tap and code keeps coming back. Will crank better, but still misses once in awhile.
Do I need to get a different sensor and is there a secret to installing it.
If I cant get it right shortly, will have to take it to a dealer.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a new sensor from a dealer.. our trucks don't like aftermarket sensors, add to that: God only knows what Advance sold you..

Quick Reply: Crank Shaft Sensor Problems