2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bought a fan shroud, now I don't need it, LOL.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bought a fan shroud, now I don't need it, LOL.

Honestly, you really do need one.

TCP Performance fan shroud came yesterday. Installed it with the electric fans I run. Truck seems to stay much cooler, but it's hard to tell as the damn weather won't cooperate. It's been over 100* for the last 39 days, and the day after I install the shroud, the temp drops 20* when a front rolls through.

Initial tests are good, coolant temp stays firmly on the 180*, trans temp gauge never went over 172* in the pan. No more touching the 210* mark, not even sniffing it.

What I am not happy about is the build quality of the fan shroud. It functions as it should, but there were some modifications I had to make to get it to fit the way it was designed to. Were it cut correctly, it would have fit just fine, but I am not happy when I have to bust out the file to clean up someone else's shoddy fitment issues. The mounting flange holes were an entire inch off, and I had to rat tail file the damn holes for 10 minutes to slot them enough to make it line up. That, and the wiper mounting bracket was cut so sloppily I had file the corners to make the fitment such that the mounting holes for the provided attachment screws would match with the pre-attached countersinks. Every edge on the shroud was straight from the cutter, not even a hint of finishing, or a courtesy sanding to at least keep you from slicing your hand wide open.

I expected a little more for $195 +shipping.

They seem to be the only company out there that makes one that reasonably fits the dodge, but if a future member reads this, beware that it isn't a simple assembly job.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

How the hell did I double thread post?

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 08-12-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Joey Buentello
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same exact problems. took a dremel to the rough edges redrilled the mounting holes, even had to re tap one of the inserts.( my fault)

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I took my grinder to it cleaned all welds, found all sharp points got most of those, painted it. all the fans fit well but I also had to after the fact add rubber adhesive stoppers on the back of my windshield unit because the slots weren't tapered to hold the tank snug. Could of tried to hit the grinder but try it out if you buy it with the bottles in and shake it around to see if you hear any rattles. Was a mystery one I just figured out.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I was gonna get the whole shebang for 595.

AIM, how did you do the fan setup? How much cheaper was it? Do you have the variable speed fan controller, so the fans increase in RPM as the truck needs it?

I want to get an E-fan unit because my truck RUNS TOO COLD in the winter (lukewarm heat). The 180* stat seems to work too well. I bet I could roll without the fans running in the winter and it would still never see 180.

Maybe I can just use a higher concentration of antifreeze and less water. Right now i am running 60/40 water antifreeze to help with summer cooling.

Thanks for the write up!!

--Dan

Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I used to have 2 proform fans zip tired directly to the radiator, run by a flex-a-lite controller #31165. Made my own wiring harness, and ran them that way for about 2 1/2 years. This summer just got too damn hot, and I had to break down and buy the shroud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did buy it from the cooling and less wear on the fan aspects, I just wish the build quality was a bit higher for $200. That was just the basic shroud, with the coolant, and wiper tank attachments. No fans or SPAL controller from TCP.

The shroud was about $225 with shipping.
2 Proform 16" fans $60 each on amazon.
Flex a lite controller was around $100 when I bought it, don't know is that has changed. It comes with all the wires and fuses you would need to wire up the fans.
I added a bus block and ring connectors to the setup for easier connecting of wires and less load on the splice points. About $10.

So DIY saved me about $100-$150. That could be a wash if these fans don't last as long as their fans do.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 08-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought a fan shroud, now I don't need it, LOL.