2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Idle & Bad Throttle -- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Not too bad a leak, but given more time it would have turned FUGLY.
Yeah I would think so too. When I first got the truck this January it ran perfect for about 3 months then I ran into the blown plenum symptoms...So I suspect it had been leaking for about 8 months.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:34 PM
ekaplan
Professional

Does it run right yet?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ekaplan
Does it run right yet?
It's hard to tell with the intake and cooling system still out of the truck lol.
I'm finishing it up this week.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering that the oil that is there is the oil that has not been sucked back into the cylinders the oil leak is worse than you think. More oil than that has gone back throughthe system. Remember this oil is not a fluid leak it is oil mist from the crankcase. And that is enough oil to need to check cat again and possibly replace upstream O2 sensor.

It will run a lot better with that fixed. Are you doing timing set and water pump at the same time?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Got done with the truck tonight; plenum, new radiator, water pump, oil change, and I quieted it down with a super 44 muffler. Also needed a new injector as one of 'em was cracked.

The truck definitely has a lot more power on the road. It seems to idle decently but the needle on the tach still bounces up/down by a few rpms, which I assume is a vacuum leak somewhere...I'll save that for another day. I still need to check the plugs to see if they're good, they've been in 6-8 months with the blown plenum (but there's no misfiring, even in 5th gear/low rpms.) And I'll throw in some seafoam tomorrow, see if it helps out the idle.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 AM
dmcpher
Default compression check?

Sounds like a cracked head... probably between the valves. Have you done a compression check?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Yeah I would think so too. When I first got the truck this January it ran perfect for about 3 months then I ran into the blown plenum symptoms...So I suspect it had been leaking for about 8 months.
So could you tell where the gasket was leaking? it looked to be in tact to me by the pic?...
Are you sure it wasnt blowby from a failing pvc valve? I would replace that as well if you havent..I've heard a dealer one is best for correct flow...

Quick Reply: Rough Idle & Bad Throttle -- HELP!