2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!! TRANSFER BOX GRINDING

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
gazmacd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! TRANSFER BOX GRINDING

Hi

I live in the UK and it's hard to find help here with these great trucks.

The problem I am having is that I just bought a 1998 5.2L Ram 4x4 (Auto) and whilst testing the 4L at very low speed I heard a clunk and then when I put it back to 2H it grinds sometimes as if it's coming out of gear or something whilst driving. When I ease off the gas and slowly accelerate it's ok or when I put it in to 4H and back in to 2H whilst moving it's ok for a couple of minutes. It sounds like it's coming from the transfer box.

I received advice from someone in the forum to put it back in to 4H then 4L and back to 2H whilst moving slowly. I haven't tried this yet because it's in the garage for a week having the bodywork done.

I'm going to try it when I get the truck back, but I'm going on holiday in it on the 5th of August and parts take 2 weeks to come from the States so as much advice as possible would be welcome.

Cheers

Gary

Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: HELP!!! TRANSFER BOX GRINDING

Unless you have super mech skills I'd bring that in. I took my 4x4 out and went through the gears to see what mine does. I get a slight cluck from 4l to 2h as the parts engage and disengage. I only have 65000km on it ( 39000miles) And i know the last owner didnt use the 4x4 gear more than once in a great while. So I know that clunk is just the gears in normal operation. Anytime it grinds thats not good as Im sure you know. Good Luck

Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Default RE: HELP!!! TRANSFER BOX GRINDING

Can you change the gears while moving? I just got a '99 ram 4x4 2 weeks ago and i only change when i'm stopped. Mine grinded too when i had it in park, but when i put it in nuetral it changed nice and smoothly.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! TRANSFER BOX GRINDING