2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
michaela805
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat shield?

i know this question has been asked many of times before but can someone possibly clarify it for me. when my motor is under stress or bogging i hear a ratteling noise. usually when going up hill. i hear it most right before my tranny downshifts. say i'm going uphill and my tranny is in 4th or 5th gear and the motor is running between 1500 and 1900 rpms. the motor starts bogging because it wants to downshift. i then hear the ratteling. it doesn't sound like it's coming from the actual engine but somewhere in the engine compartment. once i hit the gas to make the tranny downshift the ratteling stops. i think dodges are notorious for this because i know three other people who have a 2nd generation dodge and the same thing happens. does anyone know what this is. thanks for any feedback

Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: heat shield?

sounds like pinging... check your plenum gasket for leakage. look down the TB and see if you can see any oil pooling on the bottom of the intake manifold, look around with a flashlight and mirror to cover the entire plenum area... this is a common problem with the magnum motors and is pretty easy to fix, just time consuming...

Quick Reply: heat shield?