2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
GrinchV2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HID Light Problem

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. I ordered an HID kit for my high beams. I installed but they did not work so then I found out I need to replace the current fuse for my headlights with a 20 amp fuse. I have the kit on the way for the low beams which also requires a 20 amp fuse. I was told by a mechanic that I would also need to replace my fog lights because those wouldn't work with the 20 amp fuse. Also I do not know which fuse is for the headlights.The owners manual doesn't tell me. There is a diagram on the fuse cover but that is no help at all either. Hopefully you can answer my 2 questions.

1. Do I need to also replace my fog lights so they will work on a 20 amp fuse?
2. Which fuse is for the headlights?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The fuses are in the PDC(black box) behind battery. I know nothing about HID's so that's all I can help with.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
GrinchV2

Originally Posted by zman17
The fuses are in the PDC(black box) behind battery. I know nothing about HID's so that's all I can help with.
The fuse box actually inside of my truck right when you open the door its on the side of the dash. What I'm trying to figure out is which fuse is for the headlights.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Dude, the fuses for the headlights are in the PDC, Power Distribution Box. It is located behind the battery. And has a black cover on it. I also suggest you post, what brand HID kit you have, so people with more knowledge on that subject can give you an educated reply.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zman covered it. They are two fuse boxes on these trucks. The one in the dash you are referring to, and the one under the hood he is referring to which is where the headlight fuses are. There should be a picture on the inside of the fuse box telling you which fuse is where.

As for a 20 amp fuse, I can't remember what's stock, but unless something is wrong with your HID's you shouldn't have to put a bigger one in there. They do draw more current on startup, and on some vehicles you may have to, but I've never seen it be needed on this truck. I think the best thing to do is to check and see if the fuse is blown. If it is, I'd replace it, with a fuse the same size that was in there and see what happens. If it's not, you have other issues.

Your foglights also should work with a 20 amp fuse unless it's a lot smaller than what came factory, and I'm pretty sure it's not, or unless they have a short that's causing them to blow fuses.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

A 20 amp fuse isn't going to help anything, it will just increase the possibility of a fire. The 15 amp is bad enough, and burns the headlight switch out fast enough. Add into the fray a 20 amp fuse, and the factory wiring is just going to overheat all that much more. Like I said, the OP, needs to let us know what brand he has.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

Try to turn the clip around (the one that comes from the bulb, to the ballast.. Has 2 connections in it. This changes the polarity and might work. Worked on my 99

Quick Reply: HID Light Problem