DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Need Major trans help! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/302697-need-major-trans-help.html)

aim4squirrels 09-03-2011 02:49 PM

Need Major trans help!

Need Major help!

Replaced solenoid and sensor and did band adjustment. I am 100% sure I followed the factory FSM procedure for band adjustment to the letter.

truck is not shifting correctly at all. It will rev high into a gear and will not shift. It also takes ridiculously long to shift down after letting off the pedal.

Absolutely clueless and frustrated at this point. Do the sensors need some sort of break in/calibration procedure? Should the TV cable be readjusted when you do a band adjustment?

help please.This is not a VW joke thread. I cannot figure out what went wrong.

CappinHoff 09-03-2011 03:39 PM

Not sure but give the easiest one a try first, TV cable adjustment.

lastrights 09-03-2011 03:48 PM

ive seen motec floating ariound may wanna send him a message

zman17 09-03-2011 04:09 PM

The TV cable does not have to be adjusted when you do the bands. But, I would try it. Also make sure you didn't break or knock the spring off when you were down there.

aim4squirrels 09-03-2011 05:05 PM

spring was removed and replaced. It's like the truck won't shift into 3rd gear.

zman17 09-03-2011 05:08 PM

Other than double checking the spring and the cable, I got nothing for you. Sorry.

So it was working fine before? You backed off 2 7/8 on front band and 2 on the rear right ?

aim4squirrels 09-03-2011 05:24 PM

Yes, truck was fine before, just at 113,800 miles I felt like I needed to do it as part of the scheduled maintenance.

2 7/8 turns back off on the front after a torque down to 72 in/lbs. 2 turns back on the inner "rear" band in the trans pan. I even marked the adjustment nut with a sharpie to make sure I watched it go around. I'm positive I did this part right. WTF?

It's weird, the truck feels like it won't go into 3rd gear, the 1-2 shift is really smooth, almost can't feel it, but there's no way its in first gear at 50mph and not redlined. I'm right around 4000RPMs at 50 MPH, that's 2nd gear, I'm pretty sure.

I replaced the governor solenoid and sensor at the same time. wonder if swapping in the old ones will change anything. going to have to collect that trans fluid carefully this time around, can't afford to buy another 10 quarts.

zman17 09-03-2011 05:32 PM

I assume you made sure the lock nut was far enough out when you torqued.

Mpi360 09-03-2011 06:05 PM

I was told to do 2 turns on the front band. 2 7/8 is to loose and thats when the band anchor falls out jamming up the linkage. So thats what i did shifts great. Also marked the extension i was using to count the turns, its just easier to see and count to.

aim4squirrels 09-03-2011 06:05 PM

yes, I backed it way up.

Master Tech sent me this message when I PMed him:

I going to guess the transmission shifting okay before? This is common problem when adjusting bands. Thats why I have a another way of adjusting them. You need to drop the pan and save the fluid in a clean pan, so you can reuse it. On the front band using your finger, How much freeplay or movement at the lever? You should have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play. If you don't have that much freeplay then it maybe to tight. Same adjustment for the rear band too. Keep me posted on how you are doing.