2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 AM
dcwolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A clicking noise

So, hello all! I'm new to the forum, and actually found it looking at reviews of my truck. TMI probably, anyway, my question to anyone out there who may have some info, I have a 97 dodge ram 2500, when I am riding down the road I hear this clicking from my right side from the front wheel. It goes away when I put the truck into 4x4. Anyone have any idea what it is, should I worry about it? It's really annoying since my compressor is shot and I ride with my windows down currently. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the ujoint on the front axle.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

+1 on u-joint. Just got done fixing my clicking u-joint a couple weekends ago. Reach under the truck, where the u-joint is on the axle near that tire. Grab ahold and give it a wiggle/ twist. You'll probably hear a similar sound to what you hear while driving. At least mine did.

And if you do like I did a couple years ago and put greasable u-joints in, make sure you actually grease them, LOL. That was my error. 3/4 caps on the u-joint contained nothing but rusty dust, from the bearings that used to be in there. I put non-greasable ones on this time, so hopefully they'll last longer than 2 summers.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 AM
dcwolf

U-joints don't seem like they would be the problem, since it goes away when the truck is in 4 wheel.. Or am I thinking wrong??

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In 2wd it is free spinning,(loose) In 4wd you are putting tension on it, so it may not click.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with truck parked on level ground, in 2wd - reach around behind the tire and find the inner section of the axle yoke, where it goes into the axle tube. grab it with your hand and rotate it back and forth while the front tire is stationary. if it moves, clicks, or clacks its bad. its a common wear out item.

replace with heavy duty Precision or Spicer brands, not cheap one.
when reinstalling the axle, lift the axle end through the tube and GENTLY over the axle seals. treat them like fragile glass or you'll be replacing them too and its a bitch of a job.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM
dcwolf

Did that.... That was exactly what the problem was! Thank you all for your replies and help!

Quick Reply: A clicking noise