2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BLocks are WAY TO BIG!!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 AM
etdavenport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLocks are WAY TO BIG!!! lol

How many add a leafs can you use before It is a bad idea. My current lift hs a 5-1/2" block in the rear and an add a lift for a total of 8" of lift. The front is only running 7" and I wouldn't mind dropping the back just a bit. I really do not want to but I am trying to stabilize my lift a bit.

I currently have a skyjacker 5-1/2" lift with a 2" leveling kit in the front ad an add a leaf and 5-1/2" block in the back. It works great and I have no axle wrap, but I have to drop the psi on my tires to like 35-40 just to get decent ride quality. That and even with a totally new front end and urethane bushings, it stil feels lose and bouncy.. I dont have death wobble of bum,p steer either.

I realize that the only perfect solution would be to drop the stacked lift [leveling kit] and go with just the 5-1/2" and 35's, But That blows. I do nto want to go smaller. If anything I would rather go to 38's or 40's than down to 35 's =[ If I drop it, the attraction is gone and its no different than any other lifted dodge...

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the ride quality and maybe tighten the feel up without dropping the lift? I dunno, specific tires? specific tire PSI? Extra stabilizers?

I do nto care about ride quality. I just want things a bit tighter.. I talked to the local 4x4 guys about possibly getting custom leaf packs to fit the lift height and they said that buying custom springs wouldnt help much. He said the ride quaity would still be crap and that the articuation would not really improve either. I am not too worried bout articulation anyway more so about ride quality.

Who knows, Mebe my box is just coming loose, It just feels like its rattling aroud a bit.

The motor is Awesome. Its sounds awesome and purs with the oversize cam, roller rockers and custom high flow headers and exhaust I have. this truck moves, and I hardly even have to touch the gas. It jsut seems that with all the great work that has gone into the motor, that the rest of it should get a bit more attention.

Also, I do have some pretty crumby half dead tires that are missing chunks here and there. The wear is perfectly even but they're are missing pieces. Its not vibrating or rumbling on the road, it just feels...i dunno,. loose...especially when turning etcc

I am going to paint this thing soon too. Anyone know a good cheap [for automotive paint anyway] brand of paint that will actually last and thins well for spraying?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you still have your sway bars installed? Those make a huge difference in how they handle in corners. I know whan I added the rear sway bar it feels alot closer to a ferrari now. Also what abut your ball joints etc.? Seems those go bad more frequently with big tires. Get some 10 ply tires. Those are less sqooshy.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First this:

Under NO circumstances are SKYJACKERŽ coil springs to be used in conjunction with any type of coil spring or spring tower block/spacer. The use of coil spring block/spacers will allow ANY coil spring to exceed its designed stress and travel loads allowing it be overstressed, oversprung, fatigued, and possibly break. SKYJACKERŽ warranty is void under any such application.

With that much lift or more you should up grade from the stock steering set-up to some type of cross over steering. There are kits out there and i have read here lately about some one doing it. The other opt is to use 1998 2500 hd cross over steering parts, see numbers below.

1998 heavy duty ram 2500

- Drag link: DS1459
- Long tie rod (passenger side: DS1456
- Left tie rod end (driver side): ES3496
- Drag link upper end (at pitman arm): ES3497 (ES3527 for '00-'02)
- Small adjusting sleeve (drag link): ES2012S
- Large adjusting sleeve (long tie rod): ES3498S

If you have bad tires then how do you expect the truck to handle right, tires are the most important part on or truck.

Have a look at skyjacker 7" spring pack or other brands, and use a smaller block to go with it. There are also 7"-8" coil springs out there as well.

How are your tires balanced?

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: BLocks are WAY TO BIG!!! lol