2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Van 2500 3.9 rattle at idle: lower end

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
TRC042
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ram Van 2500 3.9 rattle at idle: lower end

New to forum, Hi everyone. Have a feeling I may be on here a lot, as I just bought a short-wheelbase B2500 Ram Van with a 3.9 engine. It has a few minor issues (the usual sputtering when gas tank gets low, needs shocks, etc).

When I bought it I noticed a rattle, but it seemed to be coming from the top front of the engine, figured it was a bad pulley or lifter. Now that I've had time to check it out, I've found that the source of the rattle is at the bottom end. Used the old 'stick to my ear' technique (taught by my mentor; used to do a lot of car work when I was younger) and cannot pinpoint it at all. Not coming from anything bolted to the engine, not coming from crank front or rear. Seems like it's in the middle. The rattle goes away at speed and the van runs fine.

I have read a few posts about the timing chain causing a rattle at idle; wondering if that's the issue? I need to drive this thing loaded to it's 3/4 ton capacity from CT to California in two weeks. If it is the timing chain, is it something that is likely to go at any time, or do the chains rattle for years without breaking?

Bill

Last edited by TRC042; 09-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Ram Van 2500 3.9 rattle at idle: lower end