2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exchanging seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 PM
trust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exchanging seats

I have an 01 QC 4x4, auto trans, rubber floor mats, no power windows or locks with 260k miles. The drivers side seat outer bolster is pretty rough, seam split and the foam broken down. A couple weeks ago I found a set of recently restored seats that appeared to match mine perfectly and in near perfect condition so I bought them. Last weekend I pulled my seats and started the install, the seats all bolt in just fine, no isses, however the 'new seats' came with a seat belt controller (according to the seller) but the associated wiring had been cut. I think I can figure out the wiringok and get the seats connected to one another and the controller, HOWEVER, My old seats dont have a seat belt controller that I can find nor is there any sort of likely wiring harness under the seats. The only wiring under the seats is a 2 wire plug that connects to the driver's seat. I have an 01 FSM but have had no luck in finding a wiring diagram for the seat belt controller.

My stock seatbelts extend and retract with or without power, the new units do neither right now, I assume they will once the contrller is wired up?

My questions then are: should I have a seat belt controller in my 01? What vintage might these 'new'seats be? where can I find a wiring diagram that shows the pin out for the controller? and if I have one can I simply wire up the controller as a stand alone unit or does it have to integrate with the airbag controls?

Any help will be VERY much appreciated....

Thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
tatitup8
Veteran

The little I know: my 99 had a controller, (non-power seats) had a harness under driver seat, 2 harnesses under the console, and the seatbelt module was under the console up ontop of a piece of metal. It's a black box.. The seatbelts require a constant current to use, sent by this module. When my seatbelts locked up, I took off the floor panels to lift carpet. And noticed the solid pink wire was split. So I soldered it back together, and now it works. So, I know the solid pink is the constant to the seatbelt module. And I've talked to a mechanic, and said all the seatbelt stuff is hooked up with the airbag somehow and he said anything that is yellow has to do with the airbags.. Hope some of this helps..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
trust

Thanks Tatitup8, it does help, I'm learning alot about how the system works, just not really clear on how to make it work in my truck (01).... I'm going to sit down and draw up what I have and see if that helps. For yours, do you have a large white 9 pin connector that ties to the truck harness? or someplace? The other end going to the box. And where does the three pin connector go? I assume the two pin harness from the drivers seat ties to the large white 9 pin? Its a red with blue and black with green pair.

Thanks, I never would have thought changing out seats would be so darn hard, but then everyhting seems to be anymore

Quick Reply: exchanging seats