2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight issue I can't see in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Don't waste your money on new bulbs. There is an electrical issue with the right hand side headlamp. I'm suspecting a bad ground."

Me too. See if you can put a jumper wire from the bulb's ground terminal to a good ground and see if it brightens up. I've had the same problem several times on different vehicles and it's always been a bad ground.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
JamesMore

Well I found the cause of the problem, The light bulb had moved out of the housing due to the not having the back screw in place. need to head to a junk yard to see if I can get it. The bulb had also got so hot that it had melted on to the side of the light. I will replace the bulb due to having a bi of melted plastic on it and also check that the bulb is also getting a good ground when I put it back in.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Last night I pulled the plug off the pass. side headlight. and put my meter on it. With it wired like normal the harness was supplying 11.7v to the light. When I grounded the meter at the battery, it jumped up to about 12.2v. Thinking I could solve this with a better ground, I hacked the center wire and hooked it to the negative terminal of the battery. No change. The meter was still reading 11.7v. I should have done a bit of research (was in a hurry, getting dark, and I was being lazy) because I discovered if you ground one of the headlights out separately, they won't shut off. Interesting. I returned it back to stock.

So back to square one. This really is a problem. It would appear the headlight housing itself is junk, corroded on the inside, but the bulb is still very dim.

Quick Reply: Headlight issue I can't see in the dark