2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil Pressure

Drove to work this morning about 15 miles in traffic I got the check gauge light oil pressure was zero shifted to neutral to kill the engine, pressure came back. drove further as I was about 1 mile from work. 1/2 mile further same thing neutral came back again. got to work fine no engine noise at all no lifter rattle nothing. before leaving for the day checked oil good level in fact a little above the line. almost home same thing neutral good, a mile further again to neutral this time it didn't come back so I pulled into a p-lot and sit a minute good oil level. drove home nursing it high speed shut off rinse and repeat about two miles of this pressure came back nothing for the last two - three miles. any ideas what this could be reall can't be without my truck any and all help will be appreciated as usual.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

First thing i would do is get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify the pressure is actually dropping and it's not a sensor/ electronic gauge issue.

If the pressure is dropping with the mechanical gauge too, then I would drop the oil pan and take a look around.

Good luck
-JT

Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

Just changed the filter after the initial post so I'm gonna see if I gould have a clogged filter
I do feel the pressure drop is irroneous BUT...... I'm not willing to risk an engine to test my theory I'm gonna drive it tomorrow hopefully I'm not the latest Dallas traffic jam. Never installed a manual gauge so I'll see what I can find there. What are ya'lls thoughts on the Pump vs sending unit?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my sending unit go bad, id have pressure on minute, next, it was zero. With that replaced, oil pressure is normal all the time

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Ya, you're going to need to confirm the oil pressure, or swap in a known good sensor.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

Sounds like a plan I'll Change the sensor and let you know Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: No oil Pressure