2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating/Niosy Transfercase '99 Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Rammified_99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Transfer case..

Welp! Jasper DOES sell transfer cases, with a $600 Upfront "Core Charge".
Got in the garage today, the new exhaust is atleast 8" away from the case itself so it wasn't that. Drove it in 2_Hi for a while, didn't get hot.

Got myself some spray brake cleaner & found more cracks..
I'm not much of a "JB Weld" guy, but I did try this stuff called "Real Steel" it's an epoxy..Cleaned off the case best I could & found all the cracks I could..Pinched off a nice sized loaf of this "Real Steel" stuff and gummed up all the cracks I could find..Just took it for a highway drive & off-roaded it normally, no brutal full wheel to the right & left turns, just normal 4-Hi circles..Got home & no leaks! (Yet)..

So far so good. There's a website uesedtransfercases.com I can get one that's used off of a wrecked truck for $600 & have it installed for $200..
As long as I get through this winter that's the plan.

I need to be kicked in the face..LOL

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by Rammified_99
Wow! In all the years I turned wrenches, I did not know this!
As far as cranking the wheel to the maximum and doing "Fig-8s'!
If I just drive normally in 4-Hi it's fine..I guess I was "Overtesting"!

I suppose I will leave well enough alone for now..As it does fine if I don't attempt to destroy it! Too many I'E'D's' over there!

Now, should a transfer case get hot, under normal 2WD driving?
(Obviously I never did take the Powertrains/Manual Trans. ASE!)

Thanks!
You got me. I am NOT a certified mechanic.

I am a Mechanical Engineer.

No need to get testy. You would be amazed at how many members didn't know they couldn't use 4x4 on dry pavement until they post a thread about how their truck won't stop clunking and jerking in 4x4. Happens more than you think.

I'm not psychic either, and with 20 posts, I will approach the problem starting with the basics, no matter who it is that could be asking.

There are several members here that have had cracked transfer cases. If you could snap a few pictures of where the cracks are and post them up, maybe one of those members had similar cracks and can tell you roughly how much time the case has left.

-JT

Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Rammified_99

Oh, no not being testy..I'm no master tech or close..
Just frustrated over the entire delimma..LOL
I really should have considered the exhausts!
It was probably getting hot, from all the strain I out it through.
But? It's still going strong..I guess at 138,000 cast & zinc has its' limits!

Can't beleive Jasper wants $600 for theirs,AND a $600 core charge..Which I wouldn't get back due to the damaged ones' case..
labor of $200.. It's so covered with metal screen patches & JB weld, it stopped leaking at least for now..

"Mopar or NoCar"
Cheers!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Oh, I completely understand the frustration aspect, still learning myself.

I hope you can track down a new or rebuilt case soon. It would be terrible if it grenaded in the middle of winter, leaving you on the side of the road.

To help out a fellow enthusiast, I went ahead and searched one of my favorite parts sites (www.car-part.com) and found many transfer cases for sale in Missouri from $350 for used cases to $850 for rebuilt ones. Go to the site, fill out the info, and put your zip code into the search.

The results can show you how far the place is away from your zip. Also, it lists phone numbers for the various junkyards, and I would call them to see if they could install it for you too. Give the used case a good look over before you buy it (as you probably already know), and check to see if they have some kind of 30 day "exchange only" warranty on it. That way, if it turns out to be a bad egg, you can catch it in time to get a new one.

When you do get a new or used case put in there, make sure you replace the snap ring in the tail housing with a "Transfer Case Saver". There's quite a few threads on the topic, as a broken snap ring is typically what kills one of these cases. I have yet to do this to my case, but it's up there on the list.

I agree, that's a huge chunk of change that Jasper is asking for.

Good Luck,

-JT

Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Rammified_99

Thanks a lot!
I'll be checking that out!
I've never ever had this experience with any of the 6 2nd Gen. trucks I've owned..
1995s' to 2001s'
Wonder what does happen if it "Grenades"?
Probably locks up & shatters! I'm not jumping on it!
LOL.. Thanx again for the link!

Quick Reply: Overheating/Niosy Transfercase '99 Ram?