2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift Linkage? Truck won't go beyond "D"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift Linkage? Truck won't go beyond "D"

P, R, N, D all work, but the shifter won't even go past D.

Other than this, the tranny seems flawless. Its been like this for about 2 years, and after dumping $2000 reviving and accessorizing the truck, I decided I might as well address it.

I thought it may be the shift linkage, but that seemed odd since the other gears seem to work alright (the only minor issue is sometimes even in park I have to really push the shifter up to release the key) Any idea where to start?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have gone down underneath to take a visual of the shift linkage? Rule out external binding at least.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Of course not! how dare you expect me to to do the logical...

I'll check it out. Is it a cable linkage? I guess I'll figure that out when I'm under there.

I own 9 vehicles and only one of them is an Auto, and its the only auto I've ever owned... this truck... So I am stupid when it comes to auto trannys. Never worked on one except for swapping filters/fluids in this truck!

-B

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
biggreen2500
All Star

well if you never had a auto beside for this one that insted of making a easy fix just rip out the AOD and but a 5speed in that beast problem shoved you will never have any problems trying to shift past D lol

Quick Reply: Shift Linkage? Truck won't go beyond "D"