2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rich - Center - Lean - Center - Rich?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rich - Center - Lean - Center - Rich?

Watching the computer it keeps going from Rich - Center - Lean - Center - Rich (upstream o2 reading). I watched it hit rich 23 times in one minute. The engine never changed rpm or showed any effect.

Is this normal or is it changing too much? This is at idle at about 684 rpm. Can't watch computer and count while driving, so I don't know if it does the same thing driving.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what the o2 sensor is supposed to do, constantly read and re-adjust (or send the data to the PCM to adjust) the air to fuel ratio to keep it as close to 14.7 to 1 as possible.

The more times it swings across center per minute, the better your fuel economy will be.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK great. Since it did not effect the way it runs, I was hoping it was all good. I was not aware that it would swing so much. Maybe sometimes, more data is too much. I tend to look for problems even though none are apparent.

Decided to check things out after I replaced radiator today as I was installing new stereo and speakers, and just noticed the rapid changes.

Think I'll take it on a road trip to see grandkids tomorrow in Gainesville, and then to Arlington on Monday if all goes well.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, that is normal closed loop operation. It is constantly making adjustments to try to maintain the ideal air/fuel ratio. When you go open loop (like full throttle for example), you would see something completely different (pegs out on a specific rich or lean air/fuel ratio as determined mainly by preset programming from the PCM).

Quick Reply: Rich - Center - Lean - Center - Rich?