2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trac Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Spartan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac Bar

1. Does a bad bar wear your front tires ?

2. I did the test about getting under the truck and had a friend turn the steering wheel both ways...the frame moved like HELL on either turn does this mean a bad bar??

3. i have a 2" lift and the truck has 85K on it so does that sound like i might need one or is that unreasonable?

4. Ive heard the OEM bars are crap..BUT i think they have a lifetime warrenty so would i do better with that OR just buy a aftermarket "although i think its ALOT more expensive" that has no warrenty but SHOULD last the life of the truck even with the lift?

5. What is the pricing of a OEM vs Aftermarket and where would i buy an aftermarket if it is bad and thats the route i choose?

Old 07-30-2005, 02:08 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: Trac Bar

Hi,

I'm NOT a mechanic, but I have replaced the track bar on my 98 1500 Club cab 4x4 and I'll try and answer your questions.

1. I can't reliably answer your question on a bad track bar affecting tire wear. I believe its possible, but hopefully someone with more knowledge in that area can give a better answer.

2. The OEM trackbar on these trucks are apparently known for going bad. The same part number is applicable from 1/2 ton up to 1-ton trucks. Go figure! Anyway, are you sure the frame moved, or did the bar move back and forth? If the frame moved, that to me sounds like a more serious frame problem. Cracked or some such. Again, I'm not an expert in that arena. If the joints on the bar are worn, you will see some movement at the joint where the bar meets the frame on the drivers side. If that is what you are talking about, then yes, I'd say your bar needs replacement.

3. A 2" lift isn't anything extreme so the OEM bar should be able to handle it. Presuming you have a brand name like Rancho or similar make, they are usually pretty good about advising you of potential problems. 85K miles is about the mileage where the track bars start to show some wear. Depending on the type of driving you do. Highway vs. off road. The harder you drive it, the sooner it will wear out, just like anything else.

4. In my opinion, yes, the OEM bars are junk in that the joints themselves can't be replaced like a tie rod end. Mine cost me in excess of $120 at the local NAPA, and that wasn't a bad price. I've looked at the aftermarket bars, and I THINK the aftermarket ones have joints that are replaceable, but the entire part costs over $200+ bucks.

5. I looked at Summitracing.com and found two of them there, including one for I think a 6"-8" lift.

Hope this helps a bit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12623/4245C8A6E49C4AAE8BA0644C899A46FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
BuckLee1
Default RE: Trac Bar

I have a '96 and my track bar joint wore out. Yes, the front tire wore out and did so in a short time. I went to a truck wrecking yard and found a track bar for $50. Been about 4 months and everything seems to be working fine so far.

Quick Reply: Trac Bar