2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
99SLTdriver
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending unit?

I did some searcing but couldn't find any postings with my same issue. Last week I filled my tank.I have put about 50 miles on since.I noticed this weekend my gas guage was still on full but seemed to be operating right otherwise.Now tonight when I left work The gas guage was on empty with the little light on.I stoped and shut ther truck off.I turned the ignition to on and the guage went to full.As soon as I start it it goes to empty and stays there.The only thing I have done recently is put a new battery in the truck on Sunday. so my question is is it the sending unit? Can I test it some how? Is there anything else I should check.i really dont know much about electrical.Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well man i had a similar prob. it kinda worked itself out for a while then the pump went out. i can tell you this. that if you can deal with it i would just deal with it, cuz of the way the pump and the sending unit all goes together, it would be better to buy a whole new pump and sending unit as a unit, than to try and get the sending unit replaced. all new pump and all is about 200-300. took me about 2 hours to drop the tank and replace it all by myself with the tank 3/4 full. easier way is to raise the bed up some.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
99SLTdriver
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.I figured it was the sending unit but wanted to make sure.Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sending unit?