2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering murmurs while running straight, growls when turning left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering murmurs while running straight, growls when turning left?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive with stock running gear and 219,000 miles on the odometer. A few weeks back I noticed the truck would murmur while going straight, and it would get significantly louder on a left hand curve (the harder the curve, the louder the growl) but on a right hand curve, it would quiet out. The growl is almost muffler frequency and tone. I had assumed the drivers wheel bearing was going, since I replaced the passenger side about 6 months ago. But today I jacked up the tires and tried to wiggle them; no play. The same happened for the rears. I have one slightly worn upper ball joint, and the brakes pads are about shot (primarily the driver's side). The shocks resist no shock, either. I ordered new brakes today, and the parts guy said it sounded to him like a broken sector gear in the steering gear. What do I do now? It has gotten worse rather quickly...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Broken gear in gearbox would either lock up or be free and not controlled. Open hood and run engine in park. Have someone turn steering wheel and see where noise is coming from. More likely the pump.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if the pump pulley is lined up correctly with the water pump. If the power steering pump pulley is not aligned correctly, it will cause strain on the bearings and cause the sounds you are talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qMtVVLXeY

Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Ok, I'll try this butit does not sound like a belt; in fact, it sounds exactly like a bearing is going out...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
Broken gear in gearbox would either lock up or be free and not controlled. Open hood and run engine in park. Have someone turn steering wheel and see where noise is coming from. More likely the pump.
The truck will not do it in park. I have done that, and the only play I see is in the steering gear itself. And nothing happens while at low speed, like a parking lot. Only at higher speeds. And the higher the speed + curve combination, the louder the noise. Still welcoming input, though!!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive with stock running gear and 219,000 miles on the odometer. A few weeks back I noticed the truck would murmur while going straight, and it would get significantly louder on a left hand curve (the harder the curve, the louder the growl) but on a right hand curve, it would quiet out. The growl is almost muffler frequency and tone. I had assumed the drivers wheel bearing was going, since I replaced the passenger side about 6 months ago. But today I jacked up the tires and tried to wiggle them; no play. The same happened for the rears. I have one slightly worn upper ball joint, and the brakes pads are about shot (primarily the driver's side). The shocks resist no shock, either. I ordered new brakes today, and the parts guy said it sounded to him like a broken sector gear in the steering gear. What do I do now? It has gotten worse rather quickly...
Based on previous input, it would seem that you've ruled out the steering box.

Low speed does not reproduce.

Higher speed + turning does reproduce.

I'm confused that you state 2wd here, but your signature says
99 Ram Sport 1500 4X4, 5.2, NV3500 replaced with NV4500HD, 2 door extended cab to 4 door conversion,
Kumho 285/75 tires on 17" Ultra "Thunder" rims...more to come soon!
Passenger side wheel bearing replaced 6 months ago. Driver side wheel bearing original?

You may not have play in them, but maybe take the both wheels off and hand spin.

My hunch based on what's been stated thus far is wheel bearing (somewhere) or axle shafts. However, I have no idea if 2wd axle shaft is same with 4x4. My reasoning is based on the growl still only occurring during motion....

Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Based on previous input, it would seem that you've ruled out the steering box.

Low speed does not reproduce.

Higher speed + turning does reproduce.

I'm confused that you state 2wd here, but your signature says

Passenger side wheel bearing replaced 6 months ago. Driver side wheel bearing original?

You may not have play in them, but maybe take the both wheels off and hand spin.

My hunch based on what's been stated thus far is wheel bearing (somewhere) or axle shafts. However, I have no idea if 2wd axle shaft is same with 4x4. My reasoning is based on the growl still only occurring during motion....
Umm, yeah, you see I have two trucks. The truck in the signature is my baby. My current DD is the truck in question. But I think I found the culprit; the passenger side lower ball joint is worn out. (How did I miss that?!?) I think the tire still on the truck was heavy enough to take up the slack when I jacked it up. A more thorough inspection, however, revealed this(Boy do I feel stupid) BTW, does anyone have a handy trick for removing those rivets holding the joint on?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Grinder.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or air chiesel, or both!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Or smear some bacon grease on them and let it sit overnight so the neighborhood stray dog will knaw them off.

Quick Reply: Steering murmurs while running straight, growls when turning left?