2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 AM
biggreen2500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coil springs front and add a leafs rear... theres your 300 dollar lift 95erokram

Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by wermbang
I got mine from K2 motors. I am also running a 6k HIDs from DDM Tuning

Do not put HIDs in the stock housing. Go with silverstars or something like that if your going to use the stock housings.
When you put in the HIDs was it a direct plugin, or did you have to make modifications to the harness?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
When you put in the HIDs was it a direct plugin, or did you have to make modifications to the harness?
they make plug in HID conversion kits.... HID lights require ballasts for each light , they are not just a bulb....
I did a lot of research on these before I bought my non HID projectors on ebay for $two hundred something (which were wired for the sport bulbs and I had to swap two of the wires in the harness btw)...
I also bought a "plug and play" hid kit for my dads 2005 f150 and found they are wired backwards so the highbeams come on when the switch is off and the lows come on when you turn the highs on....
I think since they are all already not dot approved the quality standards are low. Most of the buyers being kids who have high vehicle turnover rates doesnt help...
What I found was LMC carried the exact same light housings....(at about twice the price) so If your paranoid about buying something online (feedback is a useful tool to see reviews on products from sellers as well as the ebay forums) You can pay double off the bat for that piece of mind... I have bought over 300 products off of ebay and only every had one bad experience and the thousands I saved made up for the delay before ebay got me my $60 back that time...
Keep in mind their are not DOT approved legal HID housings or kits for our trucks so if they advertise it that way somethings shady...and most like mine warn you not to use hid lights in them even though theres usually a 50/50 chance they may work or may melt something.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
they make plug in HID conversion kits.... HID lights require ballasts for each light , they are not just a bulb....
I did a lot of research on these before I bought my non HID projectors on ebay for $two hundred something (which were wired for the sport bulbs and I had to swap two of the wires in the harness btw)...
I also bought a "plug and play" hid kit for my dads 2005 f150 and found they are wired backwards so the highbeams come on when the switch is off and the lows come on when you turn the highs on....
I think since they are all already not dot approved the quality standards are low. Most of the buyers being kids who have high vehicle turnover rates doesnt help...
What I found was LMC carried the exact same light housings....(at about twice the price) so If your paranoid about buying something online (feedback is a useful tool to see reviews on products from sellers as well as the ebay forums) You can pay double off the bat for that piece of mind... I have bought over 300 products off of ebay and only every had one bad experience and the thousands I saved made up for the delay before ebay got me my $60 back that time...
Keep in mind their are not DOT approved legal HID housings or kits for our trucks so if they advertise it that way somethings shady...and most like mine warn you not to use hid lights in them even though theres usually a 50/50 chance they may work or may melt something.
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you think is better HID's or non HID? I'm trying to find no headlights but I want the best light I can get. Not the blinding blue light, but the nice bright white.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you think is better HID's or non HID? I'm trying to find no headlights but I want the best light I can get. Not the blinding blue light, but the nice bright white.
IN MY OPINION
HID's are better hands down.... but you want a color choice 8,000k or below with the best choice being around 6k or lower. Anything higher than 8,000k is illegal for even factory HID equipt vehicles and the blue light output is less useful for the human eye to see properly at night so it negates the benefits. lower the color spectrum the more yellow the light... 6500k represents the color of sunlight but is often a blueish white when it comes to hid lights.(most factory HID lights are this color) 4,000 k is still white with a slight yellowish tint to it instaed of blue.
And where most people screw up is the housing..... you want a style housing that is compatible with the output of HID lights... clear glass or projectors...NOT glass with textured inside surface ment to deflect the much lower halogen light output, These blind oncoming traffic and deflect a lot of the light which could be better focused on the road in front of you where you want it...Projectors are the least obtrusive to others on the road and you will have less annoyed drivers flashing you (and are less likely to ever get pulled over)
I also like to research the brand of the kits with a google search or at least by looking through the ebay feedback and messaging a couple buyers who may have bought them earlier to see how they are holding up... Beware the sellers that mark all the auctions private for they may be trying to hide a product that fails buyers in a short time frame...
HID lights only use 35watts instead of the 55watts the stock lowbeams use on our trucks but with ballasts you take the chance of more to go wrong too....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
95Erokram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
IN MY OPINION
HID's are better hands down.... but you want a color choice 8,000k or below with the best choice being around 6k or lower. Anything higher than 8,000k is illegal for even factory HID equipt vehicles and the blue light output is less useful for the human eye to see properly at night so it negates the benefits. lower the color spectrum the more yellow the light... 6500k represents the color of sunlight but is often a blueish white when it comes to hid lights.(most factory HID lights are this color) 4,000 k is still white with a slight yellowish tint to it instaed of blue.
And where most people screw up is the housing..... you want a style housing that is compatible with the output of HID lights... clear glass or projectors...NOT glass with textured inside surface ment to deflect the much lower halogen light output, These blind oncoming traffic and deflect a lot of the light which could be better focused on the road in front of you where you want it...Projectors are the least obtrusive to others on the road and you will have less annoyed drivers flashing you (and are less likely to ever get pulled over)
I also like to research the brand of the kits with a google search or at least by looking through the ebay feedback and messaging a couple buyers who may have bought them earlier to see how they are holding up... Beware the sellers that mark all the auctions private for they may be trying to hide a product that fails buyers in a short time frame...
HID lights only use 35watts instead of the 55watts the stock lowbeams use on our trucks but with ballasts you take the chance of more to go wrong too....
I have to agree with ya here. I have halos and everyone i know has HID's. Halos are much more user freindly for oncoming traffic and they do look good. Dont skimp price though. some leak water very easily as its just 3m tape and silicone. Knight driving is incredible compared to withthe stock housings and even brighter silverstar bulbs.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
wermbang
Professional

My HIDs were direct plug and play, got 6K 35w from DDM Tuning
Name:  100_0642.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  100_0641.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  33.7 KB

Had blue tint installed for awhile but here is the LEDs/Halos
Name:  0410002251.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  18.6 KB

Also halos are not headlights, they are just rings around the outside of the projectors.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional

Originally Posted by 95Erokram
300 dollar lift. do tell me where to get one haha
I or my lift for 200 bro 40 dollar add a leads and 80 dollar cool spacers. So even under 200

Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 PM
KxRideRon125
Veteran

so if i get projectors from lets say k2motors i should prob get a hid kit for them also

Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
wermbang
Professional

Don't have too. The stock bulbs that came with my headlights were plenty bright.

Here is my before
Name:  1103091757.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  44.7 KB

And here is a truck with the same headlights and 6K HIDs
Name:  demonhemihidprojectors.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  26.3 KB

Quick Reply: Headlights?