2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy hear, could use some input on problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Tailgate101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy hear, could use some input on problems

I recently bought a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9, and I'm having a few issues with it. First, I noticed it's burning oil. I changed it the day I bought it and it's burned 2 quarts in about 1,000 miles.

Then I got a code po441. After some research (including this sight) I was derected to the purge solenoid. I checked the vacuum lines and wires, then took it apart to check of charcoal from the canister in it, didn't find any. I reinstalled it, but couldn't clear the code. I had to disconnect the battery to get the light to turn off. It hasn't come back yet, but it still stumbles at idle.

Now it's idling real low, about 500rpm in gear. And after letting warm up about 15 minutes yesterday, I couldn't put in gear with out it dying unless I had my foot on the gas. It eventually quit dying at stop lights, but still idling low.

Not to mention the fuel mileage is worse then I expected, even with the 5.9. Except for the oil use, I think the rest of the problems are related. Any one have any good input on all of this?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
lanesharon
Professional

Use the forum search, at the top, to find out other posts that involve a P0441 code. There are a LOT of them. Some have multiple codes at the same time, some have just that code. It ought to help you get some ideas. There is another conversation going on about that code today.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Lots of oil, bad gas mileage, and bad idle? That's a tough one

Just messing with you, but read the stickied page on top titled plenum and change your tps and possibly iac I think

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fear is worn rings & bearings in the engine. A tip that I use whenever I buy a used vehicle, works in cold or warm weather. Drive it around for at least 10 minutes to get to normal operating temp, then leave it running while parked, remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover. If there is smoke coming out that is a bit on the light blue side, that is a sign of worn rings meaning you need to have the engine rebuilt. It is also called blow-by. The heat that comes out if it is cold where you are will not have much color to it, so do not get confused. You can do a compression check or leak down check to further verify if you do suspect the engine needs a rebuild. Low compression will make the sensors throw codes also, but do not throw money away on new parts without being sure if you really need them. Even if you have to pay for a leak down/compression test, you will be better off knowing for sure. It is hard to say if the previous owner abused it & wore it out early. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am with peshewa and chadhager - plenum and compression checks are two very likely things to creat such problems. That's too much oil consumption and should be easy to determine cause/causes. Look down throttle body with a flashlight first. it's free. If you see oil in the bottom of intake, that is a definite problem......then do compression test. No need to do plenum if it needs rebuild unless you are prepared to spend that much to do it.

Quick Reply: New guy hear, could use some input on problems