2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new Dodge Ram 1500 fuel pump won't pump fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Bloody Oar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new Dodge Ram 1500 fuel pump won't pump fuel

Hi, I have a 96 dodge RAM 1500 5.2L V8, so... I've been having problems with the fuel pump for a while now, so I decided to buy a new one, I dropped the tank, put the new one back in, followed every step I was suppose too, well... When i went to start the truck, it just won't start now, so i messed with some things, tried some others, but nothing has worked yet. My brand new fuel pump just won't pump fuel. I manually got all the air bubbles out of the lines, I've tried everything that i can think of, oh and yes the fuel pump turns on when i turn the key, I've poured fuel right down the throttle body, had it running for about a minute, but i had the main fuel line disconnected from the fuel rail with a line coming out of it and into a gas can but there was no fuel being pumped through the line, so i know that for some odd reason It's just not wanting to pump my fuel. Well i sure hope that somone can help me, and thank you in advance.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM
frankrizzo2

I have the exact same problem getting no fuel to the rail with new pump i put in today. I hear the pump kick on when i turn the key to the on position, the fuel gauge is working. Not sure what is going on.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Bloody Oar

Well I have a suggestion for you, I just got mine all working and everything, the problem with mine was that somehow the power connection to the pump was plugged in, in reverse, so my pump was sucking fuel instead of pumping fuel, I just switched that around, and it started pumping strong, I put everything back together, and now my truck runs like a champ, so you might try what I did

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
BahamaTodd

Bloody Oar, when you say it was plugged in in reverse, where was that exactly? At the connector on the cover of pump assembly or at the electric pump itself inside the assembly? What brand did you buy?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
BahamaTodd

????

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

He's talking about the external electrical connector. Try what he said to do. And what brand did "you" buy? Maybe it's simply a defect. The pumps can run and pump no fuel.

Quick Reply: new Dodge Ram 1500 fuel pump won't pump fuel