2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd sound from dash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd sound from dash?

I did some research about this and I guess it's having air in the system?

Well, when I accelerate you hear a bunch of water moving (sounds like you're filling up a bathtub or so)

Someone mentioned low coolant, well that's not the case, I'm topped off.
So, I'm not sure if it's just air in the system or not.

I'm not sure how it got there, or how I even get it out.
what's the risks of air in the system?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie

well bad news bro sounds like you need a heater core. price is not bad but pulling the dash is a pain in the ***.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
I did some research about this and I guess it's having air in the system?

Well, when I accelerate you hear a bunch of water moving (sounds like you're filling up a bathtub or so)

Someone mentioned low coolant, well that's not the case, I'm topped off.
So, I'm not sure if it's just air in the system or not.

I'm not sure how it got there, or how I even get it out.
what's the risks of air in the system?
The risk? Overheating, severe engine damage, no heat from your heater, etc.
Do a search on the forum. Type in "Burping Cooling System". Very Detailed explination.
Good luck, I really do Hate the cooling systems on these newer cars and trucks.... lol.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

Dash?
What dash LOL.

If you seen my dash right now, you'd think I just tossed a grenade in it.
The only part left on my dash is above my steering wheel, everything every is gone, so I don't think the heater core would be hard to replace.

The sound has happened for a couple weeks and my heater has always blown good, along with AC. But if I need a heater core, then so be it. I'll get it, I will take a look at the burping the system.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Is the pass side floor wet? Do the windows fog up when you turn the heater on? If no then it sounds like you just need to get all the air out.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
mccart
Veteran

I have this same problem but no signs of heater core being bad. No wet floorboard, good heat. Motor doesn't run hot or anything. I guess its just air. But it only does it when I first take off after starting it. It won't do it any other time

Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

The only thing wrong on the passenger side is a sticky floor due to my soda always spilling.

My heater blows good, no wet floors, it just makes a bubbling noise when I take off from a light or something. It doesn't make it when I accelerate on highway

Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not think anything is wrong with it.. I did a back flush on mine last winter being it was not blowing cold.. once i did that.. i can hear the sound slightly of the fluid going through it mainly when RPM increases being the water pump is going from pushing hardly nothing to pushing high pressure through it, I would suspect maybe it might still be partially clogged.. going to replace the stat and do a complete flush with some super flush anyways.. but I'm not worried about mine.. no leaking and the thing works.. and as long as a good back flush unstops it enough to work.. I'm not going to worry about mine.

My old Ford was the same way.. and I could hear the sound of coolant flowing through it.. didnt sound like running water.. but like the sound of water going through a drain pipe behind a wall..

Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Might want to try disconnecting both your lines to the heater core and running water in one side and let it drain out the other until clear. Then switch sides and do the same thing to the other side. I did this to my truck and got a lot more crap out even after I backflushed it and ran cleaner in it. Just don't use much pressure. Remember the cooling system only operates at 16 psi. Don't want to hurt the heater core!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM
TwistedCage
Rookie

I am not saying your heart core is gone. and you cand judge it just because your floor is not wet. My floor has never been wet in my truck or my cobalt 06. it drained out the a/c drip hose. no fog, great heat car had a sweet smell truck did not both had water noise when fired up so it is some thing to really look at.

Quick Reply: Odd sound from dash?