2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold weather start - fires but wont run

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the hard start (if you're uninterested in the details, skip to the **** part at the end)

I boosted the truck; lots of power getting to the starter, spun quickly, fired a few times but would not actually run. At the time it was still cold; somewhere around -30C (about -22F). Basically it acted the way an engine that will start will, except for the actual starting part, in other words it seemed like it really did want to go.

With some FI vehicles the manual will suggest a part-throttle start in extreme cold ... normally an absolute no-no with FI ... so I tried that. Immediately it fired more consistently and after a few tries it fired up and ran on it's own, but needed throttle to keep running.

For about 10 minutes it would not idle without stalling, but would run if you kept revs up. If I gingerly dropped throttle ... I could not drop it to "foot off" but close ... it would surge a few hundred RPM, fall back, surge, etc. Probably a 3-4 second cycle.

Everything seemed fine ... oil pressure good, temp coming up, charging, etc but was a little noisy under the hood. I couldn't get out to pop the hood and try to nail down the location or get a better listen, because it wouldn't idle on it's own, so I stayed on it and eventually ... after about 25 minutes ... it settled down and idled as normal.

At that point it ran and drove fine, maybe a little miss but not anything to panic over, and was quiet under the hood. It did seem a bit down on power, and it used a lot of fuel, so was working hard, like something was dragging or putting a load on, but no knock or anything that would suggest a spun bearing internally. Coolant level is correct, good mix (used a tester), and no signs of leaks.

I decided to run the truck a while and just get a feel for the way it was running overall, and once temps came up to normal it settled down and ran fine, and power seemed back to where it should be.

I suspected fuel delivery, possibly water or ice, so I filled it with new fuel from 1/4 tank.

I was able to run around town, (truck drove as normal, at street and freeway speeds) pick up plugs, new thermostat (192F ... the only one they had at NAPA except the 180), some methyl hydrate in case there was water in the fuel, a few other things.

I looked at a plug wire set but the ones in the truck look near-new, Mopar marked, and I didn't like the choices they had ... Champion or NGK, nothing else.

Will probably hit the Dodge Store and pick up a cap/rotor; for some reason the NAPA only had FRAM brand ... never knew they sold them, actually ... and since giving FRAM money would interfere with my desire that FRAM goes into permanent, unrecoverable insolvency, I passed.

I'm going to pull it into the shop and inspect the water pump. The truck has A/C so I will probably check operation of the compressor clutch as well.

While I'm at it, there's an opportunity to check and replace the timing gears/chain. Truck is at 230,xxx km (140,xxx miles).

So, two questions for everyone:

Which timing chain sets does anyone have experience with? The local Dodge Store sponsors the local Stock Car track and racers, and they have the Mopar Performance parts as well as stock replacement in stock. There are other Speed Shops around that will have the usual aftermarket selections.

If you know a part # that would be awesome, but not necessary. I tried a search but basically got every possible answer instead of a solid recommendation.

Secondly, I believe the 96 5.2 Magnum has the timing chain tensioner as stock. Does anyone have any comments regarding using it, trashing it, replacing it? I'm not normally a fan of shoe-type chain tensioners, especially ones that will send bits of nylon into the engine oil, but if there's a good reason for it to be there, I'll inspect/replace/install it.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 01-24-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

96 does not have the timing chain tensioner stock but you can and should ad it.

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER part # P5007709 30.00
Double Roller Chain and Sprocket Set part # P5249267 58.00

Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Johnny2Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads-up ... Timing Chain and Tensioner are both likely to get harder to find soon.

Dealer has the Mopar Performance double roller timing chain on backorder with no delivery date; his backorders are 3 months old on this part, although it is still listed as available. A check of other dealers (Canada only) shows zero in inventory he could trans-ship. He suspects it's discontinued but not listed as such in the computer.

The Mopar Performance tensioner is discontinued and no inventory at Chrysler Canada.

The OEM stock replacement tensioner that fits the 5.2 is discontinued; Chrysler Canada has 2 in inventory (was 3, I ordered one) as of 27 Jan 2012.

Basically, he believes availability will be limited to dealer inventory in North America soon, if not already.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 02-01-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold weather start - fires but wont run