2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting trouble

have a 98 ram 1500 360/5.9l and just recently it's started to act up. bought it new in 97 and have never experienced this. i do all the maintenance and then some and it has about 62k on it. when i go to start it wont start unless i give it gas and then stahls/stops. only after i pump the gas will it run and then the idle is rough. if i turn it off and on immediately it'll do the same thing. after it has run for a couple of minutes, it will start after shutting off but a bit rough. thought it was my battery since it was ove 4 years old and swapped it out. it ran fine right after that, yesterday. could it be the mapi or throttle sensor? i replaced them several years ago when i swapped out the oem throttle body for a fastman while i had it off.

it did it again this morning but after i ran the truck for a couple miles, it started normally. not sure if the temp outside has any bearing on it as it was nearly 60 when i did the battery swap and around 40 when i started it earlier. once it starts it runs normally and keeps the rpm at a stop in gear etc

any ideas before I waste alot of moola at the dealtership?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am by no means, a mechanic, but if it were my truck, i'd take the throttle body off, and clean it all up. And also remove the IAC sensor from its spot on the rear of the throttle body. Carefully clean the IAC sensor, and also clean out the valve area the IAC sits in very thoroughly. I have no idea about the cost of a new IAC, but that might be easier than trying to clean up the old one. When I took mine out, due to rough idling, the sensor was caked with goo. some carb cleaner and paper towels got the majority of it off, and I just threw it back in. Cured my rough idle. Make sure to pick up a new throttle body gasket if you remove it from the manifold. :P Not sure if that one can be reused.

That's what i'd do, before spending money at the stealership.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1.... And here is a DIY https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Also disconnect the negative battery cable first, before you do any work on it. Oh, and while the TB is off, check inside at the corners for oil pooling.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to post #2 and that guy with the gsheperd.

Quick Reply: Starting trouble