2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not getting 100% power in drive but reverse is ok

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
01silverram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting 100% power in drive but reverse is ok

Heres the deal. I have a 99 ram 4X4 5.9L, automatic. Bought it for a winter truck but this issue with it has caused me to almost go NUTS. when i put it in drive or 1 or 2 it bogs down. It eventually gets going and goes down the road but it has ZERO *****. You cant spin the wheels on wet pavement. If you put it in reverse she'll go like hell like theres nothing wrong at all.
I have 3 codes popping up right now. P0462, P0505, and P1763. I have replaced the IAC and both the sensor and solenode in the trans.

I tried another ECM/PCM that I had laying around but I think its from a 2000 or 2001 so it didnt work. Truck would not start at all.

I have the original ECM number P56040150AD.

Anyone out there have any idea of what could be the problem? Im about to sell it as is if I cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
jswain
Veteran

Was it like that when you bought it? Does it have any power after it gets moving? My thinking is maybe the transmission has issues and is in limp mode, starting in 2nd gear rather than first. If it doesn't have power from a standstill, but decent power after up to speed, that could be the reason. Trans fluid look and smell alright?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't followed this but it may help: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-reverse.html

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM
01silverram
Veteran

Yes it was like this when i bought it. The guy said trans was rebuilt but had an issue with the ECU. Well after I hooked it up because of the codes I thought it was the two sensors in the trans and the IAC. So yep i replaced them but it did nothing.

After it gets going it can cruise down the highway but when ya get on it it doesnt seem to drop down a gear for passing etc. It just bogs down like a chainsaw when ya first get it started.

Its def annoying not to know whats causing this deal.

Quick Reply: Not getting 100% power in drive but reverse is ok