2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heli coil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heli coil question

so i need to put a heli coil in a hole for an oil pan bolt. What might happen if I dont drop the pan to do it? There shouldnt be any shavings that get through into the oil and I could change the oil right after. So I'm not sure I see that I absolutely HAVE to remove the oil pan in order to do it. I could be missing something though?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
lazyboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep metal chips in motors is bad jew jew. if you can have someone hold a vacuum near your drill while doing it. if not you could magnatize the bit and clean it often as you drill it. very important to drill very straight and hold diameter when doing this. you dont have many options when your done if the hole isnt correct. maybe start small and step drill size up as you go? gotta be on center of origanal location to match pan too.
good luck and happy machining.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you can either use a magnectic drill bit, or you can coat it in some jelly or grease, so it will grab the shavings as you drill.

Quick Reply: heli coil question