2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about muffler / cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about muffler / cat

What would you recommend for a cat/muffler for a decent price

I just went under my truck and took a look at my muffler. I would just like to say, It's useless. I can feel it getting really weak/rusting through
I'm 100% certain my cat is clogged.

Question;
Is the stock cat and muffler welded?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just gutted my cat today. The weld broke right at the back of the cat yesterday and my cat seemed like it was clogged a little. So I went ahead and gutted it today and man what a difference! If I were you I would do something about the cat ASAP. If you drive too long with it that way it will crack the heads. As far as what brand/type exhaust to go with not sure what to tell you myself. I still have the stock stuff on mine for now. But you can do a search and find out all kinds of exhaust info.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

I've never thought about gutting my cat.

I just got my inspection done. So I don't have to worry about any test.
How would I go about gutting it?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually got lucky with mine. Where the weld broke was right behind the cat so I just took a steel rod and a heavy hammer and started breaking the honeycomb up and then using a shop vac to suck it out. I used a long pry bar also because once you get the pieces broke up you still have to break them up small enough for them to come out the pipe. Be sure to make sure ALL of the material is out of the cat. There is both the honeycomb catalyst and a fiber insulation type layer in there. If you don't get it all out it will get sucked into your muffler.
As far as your situation you would have to cut the cat out and gut it and then reinstall. Some guys choose to just pull the cat completely and put in a piece of pipe. If you do a search I believe there is some info in the FAQ/DIY section about doing your cat. Also check out the thread about your o2 sensor if you gut it. There is a trick with adding a couple of spark plug non-foulers to fool you 02 sensor behind the cat. This way you can gut the cat and not throw a code.
Don't have emissions inspections here but they visually check when the regular state inspection is done so I just gutted mine for now. Gonna pick up a couple of non-foulers tomorrow and throw those in to get rid of my CEL.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

I'm thinking of just getting a flowmaster cat / muffler.

Better performance / mileage I would assume

Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flowmasters are pretty good. There are a number of threads here regarding the Flowmaster 40 and Flowmaster 50 series.

Main thing to watch for is th small diameter Y pipe on some of these. Check to see if you have the Y pipe or if the twoc sides come together at the cat. Can't remember which year models are effected.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 AM
tweav88
Professional

i got a magnaflow high flow cat for 155 plus shipping, but i cant seem to find the link for tht, i have it in another post im sure, and a flowmaster 40 series for 70, and i used to stock tail pipe and piece in between the two. sounds good, i get compliments all the time, its not obnoxious unless you want it to be.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
Welcome to the azzhole club. We like new recrutes.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kejobe
Welcome to the azzhole club. We like new recrutes.

i have my momments, especially when there is a new muffler thread almost every day of the week

Quick Reply: Questions about muffler / cat