2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIRTY RAY: Cluster missing, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIRTY RAY: Cluster missing, no start

Originally Posted by DirtyRay
Hey guys I am new to the forum just got a 2001 dodge ram 3500 project. It has no instrument cluster. My question is there a way to start the truck without the instrument cluster being in the truck?
Well when I went to reply the thread was open, but after this was all typed out it was not. Hope this helps a bit.

I started my '95 and drove it 300 miles without a cluster. But it's possible that with your truck being so much more electronically advanced (despite appearing identical) then mine (I have OBD1 management, you have OBD2) it needs those circuits completed. If it is not starting, I would look elsewhere than the cluster.

Will it turn over? If not then your first step is getting power to the starter (or a new starter).

If it will turn over but won't start, that's when you check for spark, fuel delivery, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
DirtyRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you..

Thank you for your input I will try what you suggested and report back to you what I find. Unfortunately I work all week and don't get time to work on my project until the weekend. I do really appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: DIRTY RAY: Cluster missing, no start