2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

modified throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default modified throttle body

Well since the trucks been running me into the poorhouse lately I decided to compromise on the throttlebody upgrade and do my own for now...I picked up a stock 47 mm v8 throttlebody from ebay and bored out the bottleneck above the plates which are actually 50mm.... I also cut off the air horns for more unrestricted flow (I heard this can make them a bit noisy with certain air filter setups)

My stock throttlebody has an air cleaner bolt broken off in the hole and though I have drilled it out a bit its still not the best and since this throttlebody was only $10 and came with all the extra goodies such as the IAC and tps, and map sensor I couldnt go wrong...

This is a good inexpensive way to squeeze a bit more power out without any real cost besides maybe a gasket and some dremel bits....
I thought it was kinda fun actually.

here is the rest of the album...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...0&ref=gnr-next

Old 03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you put It on yet? Did you notice anything?

Looks cool though. So what exactly did you do and how did you do it?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

just took a dremel and cut off the air horns that stick up with a cutting disc... then used the sanding wheel attachments and sanded down the smaller 47mm opening above the butterflies so it matches the 50mm opening below... and rounded the top edge.... and took some polishing compond and a polishing wheel and gave it a quick once over...
If you google for images of "dodge ram throttle body" you will see tons of modded ones like mine , some are polished up nicely...I havent decided if I'm going to bother with that yet since its more just for looks...

its a cheap and effective way to do what they guys like fastman charge big bucks to do for a 50mm throttlebody... now if I wanted to step it up to say a 52mm sized TB... then it gets a bit tricky without the right equipment.

No I just finished it an hour ago...the truck is apart right now and we are getting a wind storm... after the headers and crank position sensor go in then this will go on...I want to do it after to see the effects.

i should add the 52mm ones on ebay are a good deal too considering the work that has to be done and 52mm requires bigger butterfly plates...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Whats the stock throttle body size? Polishing a throttle body seems kinda overkill to me for anything except a show truck

Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Whats the stock throttle body size? Polishing a throttle body seems kinda overkill to me for anything except a show truck
Stock is actually 50mm at the plates and below them but above the plates the hole is tapered down to 47mm openings so thats restricting the air flow down to 47mm...once you bore out the extra aluminum above and remove the turbulence causing air horns you essentually have a better flowing true 50mm sized one which is the best size upgrade for 318's or 360's that tow for no low end loss anyway.

See in the pic of the stock one where its shiny in the hole towards the bottom? thats the 50mm sized hole... the rough part at the top is where its taped down to a 47mm hole... so its easy to remove without being worried about screwing up the butterfly sealing up the hole correctly. just dont mess with the shiny section and your good.

Its essentially the same thing thats done to them when you buy a lot of the commercially modified 50mm "upgrade" ones... thats why they ask for yours as a core... they just do the modding and resell them.

I saw a lot of guys on another forum are doing it and I just upgraded my exhaust and injectors so I figured I better get more air in somehow..

total upgrade cost including buying the extra throttlebody because mines jacked up....$30 for harbor freight dremel bit set and TB...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Is there any reason dodge would purposefully engineer a bottleneck like that? Or is another cost saving measure.

I think I'm going to do this in the neat future. What exactly constitutes an air horn? And I if I read this correctly you do have to bore out the hole itself a little right?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Is there any reason dodge would purposefully engineer a bottleneck like that? Or is another cost saving measure.

I think I'm going to do this in the neat future. What exactly constitutes an air horn? And I if I read this correctly you do have to bore out the hole itself a little right?
once stock restrictive air cleaner exhaust and other components are addressed this upgrade can allow more flow allowingthe air pump (engine) to flow better... Again, you are boring out the top part of the hole where its smaller than the bottom. DONT mess with the hole down where is shiny and the butterfly plates sit... as far as why dodge did it that way? not sure except maybe cost since onesize fits all smaller one will work on smaller stock 318 as well as a 360 but its certainly not optimal... especially with other mods. (I'm not sure if the v6 uses the same size throttle body or not)? I dont think so (hence the "V8" marking on mine) They had low end grunt and mpg when designing these... this is why the kegger has long runners and modding the kegger sacrifices the low end for better mid and upper powerband... going from 47 to 50mm has shown proven gains all the way arcross the powerband without losing lower end power like a 52mm one can. (if you can heavy modifications or a 408 thats another story)

the air horns are the aluminum extrusion parts around the hole that extend up (you can see them in the first pic)... they make it quieter but at the cost of restricting air flow and more turbulence... this is why they are removed from all performance throttle bodies you see on the market.. removing them alone will help with air flow especially if you have a better flowing CAI or even 14x3 setup...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-03-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: modified throttle body