2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Security Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Security Issue

Hello DodgeForum,

I've been posting on this forum for awhile now. i recently acquired a 98 dodge ram 1500 Laramie around November of last year, and quite a bit of work has gone into it to make it worthy, though unexpected work. I recently put in a new transmission which is the biggest major project. The other smaller projects was replacing the timing chain and gaskets - which was a walk in the park.

I'm posting because I have a small issue. My remote has two buttons. A lock\unlock button and a remote-start button. Both the buttons work just fine... but the remote-start function isn't quite right.

Around december before the transmission went out, i tried warming up the truck so i could actually feel my buttcheeks and hands. But when i hit the button on the remote, it started, then immediately died. Not only did it just die, but it tried starting itself a few more times before stopping.

Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know if this will help or not, but my 98 had an aftermarket alarm(no remote start), but the alarm would go off randomly when the battery was dead or starting to die in the key fob.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nooo that's not it. I can use the remote from a good football field away. So the battery is fine. It has something to do with the factory system detecting that the vehicle started.... I'm gonna pull the column out today and see whatsup.

Quick Reply: Factory Security Issue