2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just got an 01 ram...initial tune ups

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 AM
austinb82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an 01 ram...initial tune ups

Hi...I just picked up an 01 ram 1500 5.2L 2wd 5 speed with 127k miles at a great price. I had it checked out by a shop before purchasing it and the only issue they found was a very slight misfire but the mechanic didn't seem concerned by it. I plan on replacing the spark plugs, checking the air filter and getting an oil change immediately.

I have checked the serpentine belt and it isn't completely shot yet but I will probably be needing to replace it sometime in the next year.

I also just realized I haven't checked the transmission fluid yet (but I'm sure the shop would have told me if it was bad). I've changed the trans fluid and filter on automatic transmissions before...is it any more complicated on this transmission if it needs to be changed?

Are there any other initial tune ups or things I should check on the truck (related to the misfire or just general maintenance). Thanks.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

You're in luck: We've got an '01 Factory Service Manual in the DIY/FAQ section at the incredible good price of free. Grab that straight away. Also see the sticky end all/be all plenum thread.

Changing out the transmission oil is even easier on a manual. Drain it out, pour more in, done. It's in the manual.

First thing I'd do with a misfire is to get new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor on. If that doesn't do the trick, well... hope it's not that #8 hole or your great price might be getting several hundred dollars higher.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
austinb82

I changed the spark plugs and it is running better...it seems to have a little more power and the check engine light which was on went away.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Glad changing the plugs helped, and that maybe all it needed but it's not unheardof for the plug wires to break down and not transmit fire to the plugs, may be something to think about if the issue ever comes back

Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now for giggles and grins....check the "Be all end all plenum thread" stickied at the top of the page. May need to check to see if this is something you need to address.

Quick Reply: Just got an 01 ram...initial tune ups