2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2500 RPM in Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM
JamesMore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2500 RPM in Park

Just had my 1997 1500 dodge back from the shop after some work on a leaking power stealing joint. When I got it and drove off I through the engine sounded very loud. When I got home I plugged in my phone to the diagnostic port and saw just in park that the RPM's are showing as 2500.

Its going back on Monday but wanted to know if there is any thing else I can check before I call them to ask what is up with it.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

try resetting the PCM for the heck of it.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check the throttle cable at the throttle body to be sure its returning back to its idle stop.

verify tps is plugged in on the drivers side of TB and that IAC is plugged in on the rear side.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
JamesMore

Originally Posted by zman17
try resetting the PCM for the heck of it.
I had to get a jump at the garage as the battery was drained, I went to look have a look last night if I could reset the PCM but found the battery to be dead, its on the charger right now so I guess when I put it back in the PCM should be reset ? as the truck will have been with out power for 24 hours.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
check the throttle cable at the throttle body to be sure its returning back to its idle stop.

verify tps is plugged in on the drivers side of TB and that IAC is plugged in on the rear side.

I checked that the tps is plugged in I checked the cable coming to the tps and then checked that the tps was plugged in on the other side. (is that the IAC side)

Silly question I have not been able to find the throttle cable, I am going to go out today in the day light and see if I can find it but can I get a hit to where I should be looking on the engine.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by JamesMore
I had to get a jump at the garage as the battery was drained, I went to look have a look last night if I could reset the PCM but found the battery to be dead, its on the charger right now so I guess when I put it back in the PCM should be reset ? as the truck will have been with out power for 24 hours.

Yes, that will do it.

I checked that the tps is plugged in I checked the cable coming to the tps and then checked that the tps was plugged in on the other side. (is that the IAC side)

Silly question I have not been able to find the throttle cable, I am going to go out today in the day light and see if I can find it but can I get a hit to where I should be looking on the engine.

It's on the passenger side of the TB under the air intake. Remove the tube going to the fender and you will see it.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is your batt going dead? Bad batt or ?????

Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
JamesMore

I don't know why the battery has gone dead it was at the shop for a long time might have been door left open in the shop etc it was then left out side for a long time and then after the jump I only drove it about 5 miles its on a drip charge now so will go and install it and then report back what I find.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM
JamesMore

Ok just got off work and going to go test a few things I have read that if the battery is low or is replaced then you have to some times "relearn the idle procedure"

But I have found many conflicting ideas, what is the correct procedure ?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You are right, 50 to 200 miles of driving for the PCM to relearn.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
JamesMore

I put the battery on charge last night and then today I checked all cables and leads all seemed good. On start up the RPM's where a little under 1k and then dropped down to the below all seems good at the moment.

Quick Reply: 2500 RPM in Park